glow plugs issue

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

muttleypup
80-90 Mem No: 0

glow plugs issue

Post by muttleypup »

I recently had an issue where the glow plug relay would buzz on occasions (no starting issues cold or hot, just really annoying!).....switched to a new relay, problem persisted.  I figured that the glow plug sensor must be at fault, so swapped that for a new one (Febi) and buzzing has stopped.  My problem now is that cold starts are fine, fires straight up, but when the engine is almost cold, it cranks for some time before firing. Previously glow plugs would cycle at this point but now they don't, my guess is that the new sensor is reading high.  Before i try different manufacturer sensors has anyone got any thoughts?
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: glow plugs issue

Post by colinthefox »

Add a resistor in series with the sender as per this photo...........
......the usual value of resistor is around 470 ohms but might be as little as 100 or as much as 600 to give 4 seconds glow when warm. When it all performs OK then wrap the whole lot in self amalgamating tape to take the mechanical strain off the resistor. I use a 1 watt resistor, available off eBay for about a quid.

Oh, and the picture is the temperature gauge sender on a Commer, but same principle applies.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

muttleypup

Post by muttleypup »

Thanks for this…adding a resistor had crossed my mind but wasnt sure if was overthinking it

muttleypup

Post by muttleypup »

Thanks again to colinthefox for the advice, got a selection of resistors off ebay, the 100 ohms was all it needed to give a quick burst of glow plugs so problem solved  :ok

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

Glad you got it sorted :)
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.