Rough Idle - Intermittent Stalling.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

aec
80-90 Mem No: 5469

Re: Rough Idle - Intermittent Stalling.

Post by aec »

maxstu wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 20:58 They're crap!
I had exactly the same issues with a previous van. Including deposits on the side of the rotor.

Wish I'd read this thread last week BEFORE I'd replaced coil/cap/leads assuming that the virtually new RUSSIAN made Bosch plugs were OK :evil:

Van was misfiring very badly (I'm ashamed to say I've only just re-started my nearly a year long journey to get my van back on the road after a winter break).  The plugs were replaced in the autumn with new Russian Bosch plugs while I tuned things up and did a coolant change and some other repairs. They were understandably a bit sooty (after various start-ups, driveway reshuffles but no long runs) but only a thin coating, so I assumed they were still good.  The coil/leads/cap all looked fine and tested out OK resistance wise but I bought new ones in hope that this would help but it made no difference. Luckily I investigated the plugs properly before I moved onto hall sender etc.  The insulation resistance across the plug was about 20k ohms on two of them, and about 100k on the third - and they were resistive "R" types so 5k of that is built-in to the plug!  No wonder the spark was bad!!  I found some old sooty (German Bosch) plugs and checked those - infinite insulation resistance.  Swapped over and it's running on all four again.  I tried cleaning the Russian plugs with a plastic brush, wiping clean with meths.  They cleaned up pretty well with minimal effort but the insulation resistance increased wouldn't get it above 100k, so next to useless!! - perhaps the insulator is bad quality and allows carbon to build up bridging to the electrode?

They were cheap, but I'd bought 2 sets, trusting in the Bosch name. All now heading for the bin.   Can only assume Bosch took the Russians at their word, something the world has hopefully learned to never do again. :evil: :evil: :evil:
1984 1.9DG wbx Autohomes rigid pop top

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

I posted about my van being a bit rough once it comes off the choke the other month so altered the choke do it came off a bit later and it was much better. Occasionally since then it has had the same problem of stuttering at junctions within about 2 minutes of the choke coming off. If I get a good run from the off it’s fine.
I’ve only just read this thread so decided to have a look what I’ve got and they’re Russian.
What’s a better option as I may as well get a new set?
Cheers, David.ImageImage
the future is unwritten

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

I find it sad that there is so much 'tat' about for our vans.

All my vehicles are 18+ years old (two Vauxhalls) and my van. And all use predominently Bosch or Pierburg parts.

I have put an advisory post on my other (Vauxhall) forum to look out for these symptoms, because who knows what other spark plugs, or Bosch parts in general, are sourced from poor Russian or Chinese suppliers.

I have heard of poor or fake Pierburg parts too,
but nothing to do with carburettor parts (for those who just panicked at my utterance of the P word).

I just hope the decline in parts quality does not get any worse.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

Any links to buy some good ones anyone?
I always assumed I was.
I occasionally got the feeling it wasn’t running on all four but dismissed it as me being paranoid.
David.
the future is unwritten

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

One guaranteed route is to spend a few quid more and go to the local factors.
At least you can check them physically before you handover your cash (or swipe your card).

Or we will quote Brickwerks as usual, because we all know that Simon and Co will avoid selling tat.
They have a highly respected reputation that I am sure they are keen to maintain.

I forgot to say - if you quote you are a Club8090 member, then they do offer a small discount.
Strangely I always forget that bit.
But they are very competitively priced anyway.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Post by tobydog »

I only use NGK plugs, never had a problem with them since 1975 fiz days :D

Knowledge is power
1970 CU

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

jrt wrote: 23 Apr 2023, 15:01 Any links to buy some good ones anyone?
I always assumed I was.
I occasionally got the feeling it wasn’t running on all four but dismissed it as me being paranoid.
David.

WR7 DC+ is the ones I used from BrickWerks.

300+ miles later and still OK...
It's been running so well I haven't even bothered to check the plugs again ( as per original intention. )

That's my excuse anyway. It's either that or admit I'm lazy  :lol: :lol:
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Post by tobydog »

Smiffo wrote: 23 Apr 2023, 21:23 WR7 DC+ is the ones I used from BrickWerks.

It's been running so well I haven't even bothered to check the plugs again ( as per original intention. )
Do Brickwerks sell special plugs? :lol:

Why do you have to check the plugs after 300 miles, what would you expect them to deteriorate and cause a problem so soon?

NGK, always found they had a better heat range.....
Knowledge is power
1970 CU

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

tobydog wrote: 23 Apr 2023, 21:52
Smiffo wrote: 23 Apr 2023, 21:23 WR7 DC+ is the ones I used from BrickWerks.

Do Brickwerks sell special plugs? :lol:

Why do you have to check the plugs after 300 miles, what would you expect them to deteriorate and cause a problem so soon?

NGK, always found they had a better heat range.....

Special?

I wanted to check the plugs - as per my earlier thread - to ensure it isn't running rich or lean.
I did a bit of carb work.

It's all up there Toby.
Does this mean I'm not on your 'ignore' list anymore? 

'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.