Tin top to Pop Top v High Top pros and Cons

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Van Rouge
80-90 Mem No: 13978

Tin top to Pop Top v High Top pros and Cons

Post by Van Rouge »

Hi guys you're thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers
Nick

Davegrohl99
80-90 Mem No: 16802

Re: Tin top to Pop Top v High Top pros and Cons

Post by Davegrohl99 »

Pop top all day long.

Best of both worlds :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1981 Westfalia 2.0 CU engine.
1971 Early Bay Microbus.

Ian P.
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Ian P. »

And you can get most pop tops under a 'normal' 2 metre / 2.1 metre car park barrier. With a high top, you're often in the commercial car park with all the artics - expensive, and your pride and joy is prone to getting hit....

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Hi Top

More storage space, nicer in winter, instant headroom. Can (and does contribute to roof corrosion), crosswinds can make some drives uncomfortable, restricted access due to height restrictions/ barriers.

Pop Top

Can often park where Hi Tops cannot, less storage space, not as warm or comfy in bad weather. Can leak as they get older but most can be renewed or repaired.

Both Hi Top and Pop tops can offer 4 berths but not all Hi Tops have the extra two berths. I have always preferred Hi Tops but am thinking of converting mine to a pop top.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

Michael4
80-90 Mem No: 16731

Post by Michael4 »

Many pop tops hinge on one side or end. There are others that go up horizontally. Some of these have fabric sides, others have solid folding sides with windows in them. We chose the latter because of the better insulation IF EVERYTHING FITS PROPERLY.

1985 1.9 DG Devon Moonraker with solid sided pop top

sauce1001
80-90 Mem No: 2816

Post by sauce1001 »

High top gets my vote.  I've had both.

Pros: High top's much warmer, loads of permanent storage space (over the cab is particularly handy), no leaky canvas, doesn't slam shut when you least expect it and I've never had a car park I can't get in to.

Cons: Can't carry my canoe!
1990 Multivan 1.9 AAZ

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

Ian P. wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 16:51 And you can get most pop tops under a 'normal' 2 metre / 2.1 metre car park barrier. With a high top,

Will you?
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

One of each :ok

I like them all for different reasons

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

Pop roof -
pro's:
can still fit roof rack for additional lighter items
more desirable than fixed high top (debatable can of worms :mrgreen: )
more likehood of it stil fitting in your garage
height restrictions less of a prob/consideration (peage, branches on campsites etc) (we even found height restricted motorways around Paris)

con's:
can become a chore packing it down (especially the side opening ones!!)
need the wrap around thermal cover for chilly nights (unless you can collapse it)
driving rain can get in if waterproofing or seams aren't all that!
Packing away wet canvas will mean having to remember to dry out later (same as a tent/awning)
Awning attachment can be a PITA
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

I have had all three , high top wins for serious camping , warmer, quieter, more storage and no having to move everything everytime you move …..

Pop tops catch just as much wind , they have gaps the wind gets into, they flap when up when sleeping, next to no noise protection at night , and are a right faff . Unless its lowered 99% wont get under a 6ft barrier and its really obvious you are sleeping so no good for stealth camping

Tin top ( which is what i have at the moment ) has little storage , and gives you kneck ache and difficult to put your strides on in a morning , but is warmest , quietest and still struggles with car park barriers .

High top wins as a camper no doubt about it in my eyes
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Van Rouge
80-90 Mem No: 13978

Post by Van Rouge »

Thanks for everyone's replys we have had our tin Top van since 2009 and A. I am very tall 6'8" B. I am 58 this year, C: This will be our year round transport when I retire in in hopefully the next 4/5 years. Can anyone send some new Grp high top profiles that are still available I have seen the Reimo and Shapeways? Ones

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Van Rouge wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 19:42 Thanks for everyone's replys we have had our tin Top van since 2009 and A. I am very tall 6'8" B. I am 58 this year, C: This will be our year round transport when I retire in in hopefully the next 4/5 years. Can anyone send some new Grp high top profiles that are still available I have seen the Reimo and Shapeways? Ones

Space roofs do Westy reproductions

mercrocker
80-90 Mem No: 9390

Post by mercrocker »

Factory hightop for me.....Better looking than a boat-top (obviously that is a very subjective opinion....) and I hope less prone to seepage and rot than some of the conversions I have encountered.  

No windows in mine, just a Fiamma roof vent.   Oddment storage possible along both sides (I have fixed a rail along each side between front and rear plywood bulkheads) and of course the storage available at each end is there all year/all day.   I've got lightweight chair and tables up there, the Holdsworth table top and all the bedding at the other end and still room to store clothing whilst camping.  

Permanent standing room (and cargo room when needed) and no wind-flappage.... 

What's not to like?   Increased sidewind and headwind buffeting of course as well as the obvious height restriction (this can actually be quite a PITA thanks to councils reducing access to amenity carparks) and added awkwardness of cleaning the top of the roof. 

Had the van 17 years or so and I have never actually regretted the factory high roof choice and would choose it again.....
T25 1.9 DG 4spd Holdsworth Hi Top (factory roof)

Splurt
80-90 Mem No: 9694

Post by Splurt »

As Steve says, for a camper the practicalities of a high top far out weigh the limitations.
You can park up and get the kettle on while standing up without having to set up a pop top or crouch over. Particularly handy when just stopping for lunch or to break up long drive.
Loads of fixed storage, cupboards and the bed area if you don't use it for sleeping. Storage is secure, dry and indoor vs roofboxes on a pop top.
I've slept 'upstairs' without any curtains drawn, etc. so has an aspect of stealth if you happen to need it.
Nice and warm compared to canvas.
No having to dry out canvas.

To be honest I have never had trouble finding alternative parking where there are height restrictions. You may have to walk a little bit further to get to the beach, etc but not an issue for us.
Doesn't have the aesthetic appeal of a pop top but this is style over practicality imho.
Biggest inconvenience for me is the significant extra cost for ferries but I just factor that into the annual holiday fund.
Hitops do cause serious rust damage so if you aren't storing the van in a garage then this is another important consideration.

It really depends on how you plan to use it. Mostly camper, go hitop. Mostly daily driver in urban areas with occasional camper use, probably best poptop.

It's not just a matter of cutting a hole and glueing the roof on either. Factory hitops had specific reinforcements so these would be needed to be done for a retrofit. I'm not sure if poptops had the same?
Ryan

89 - 1.8T AGU - SA Syncro - Hightop Camper 

'I love my brick'
Fr Jack Hackett

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Always a high top for me:

ImageImage
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6