Coolant system problem or gaskets - overheating and coolant loss

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

andygraham01
80-90 Mem No: 0

Coolant system problem or gaskets - overheating and coolant loss

Post by andygraham01 »

Hi All,

First post on here. We bought a 1.9 petrol earlier this year, I gave it a basic service filters, plugs and leads and then did a 1500 mile trip without issue.

Seemed to have a minor leak from the radiator but nothing significant, so I planned to replace, it was loosing around .5 litre every 500 miles so I topped up when needed, but via the expansion tank. We've got a box in the back over the engine bay that makes access difficult without removing it, so didn't regularly check the header levels.

We did a trip over to Anglesey August bank holiday and it overheated quite often, temperature was high and the light on. I checked the coolant levels and the expansion tank was empty each time. Was still coolant in the header but not full. Topped up and bled the system using the steps on here but that didn't really solve it and it continued to overheat.

Spoke to a general mechanic that I trust but doesn't have much Wbx experience (I know) and was advised it's likely a head gasket problem. I'm not hugely mechanical but I'm happy to roll my sleeves up and have a go. Plus I figured it would give me a better understanding of the van.

I've started stripping out the engine (removing hoses and carbs) as per some of the guides on here for engine removal and rebuild. Before I continue I'm trying to understand do I go to the effort of stripping the engine and changing the head gaskets or should I be looking elsewhere first. Reading here it sounds like there's a great deal more that could go wrong, broken header bolts etc so I'm keen to avoid if it's not necessary.

I don't have a huge history folder with the van but it looks like the head gaskets were changed in 2015. Clutch hasn't since 2005, but temperature sensors and thermostat were also done in 2015.

Also there doesn't appear to be any significant coolant leak's from the heads until very recently when it's gotten colder, it's been sat since August and not really used as I was worried about doing damage to the engine.

I've drained the coolant and removed the radiator as I'm planning to put the larger size one in from brickworks anyway, so can't really do much testing now.

Looking at this post viewtopic.php?t=172903 it seems it could possibly be a header tank or darlek cap problem instead.

What are the sensible next steps? Do I forge ahead and strip the engine and replace the gaskets just for piece of mind that it's been done. Should I have just started with the darlek cap (although that's a little late to test now) should I just put it back together with a new radiator and darlek cap

What else should I be thinking about changing or what else might be causing issues related to overheating and coolant loss.

Thanks Andy
1988 T25 Komet 1.9 DG petrol

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Coolant system problem or gaskets - overheating and coolant loss

Post by maxstu »

A rock and a hard place comes to mind.

Ive owned Hillman Imp's and Fiat X1/9's in the past. So familar with front to back coolant systems. But it's the devil itself with this type of cooling system. There are so many components to check through. Once properly sorted it works very well....so not all doom and gloom, though.

Firstly, I would check which company fitted the headseals in 2015. There are a few cowboys out there. And tell the mileage since the last rebuild. 100000-130000k should easily be achieveable for headseals if maintained properly.

Personally l would put all back together with new a radiator, a new thermostat with a new expansion (if nasty yellow in colour and brittle) tank and dilek cap. Afterwards bleed the system thoroughly. Then ask your mechanic pal to pressure test the cooling system and look for leaks.

BTW, wherebouts are you? Just area will do. Perhaps another forum user could cast a beady eye over the van.

Regards
Stuart
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

andygraham01
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by andygraham01 »

Cheers Stuart.

Bit of an update on this I decided to put it back together as suggested, replaced the thermostat, the darlek cap and radiator and noticed a leak from the metal pipe that connects from the engine to the thermostat. Replaced this, and flushed the coolant system a few times with water, bringing it up to temperature each time to help coax out as much crap from the system as I could. New coolant in today, bled the system and a 30 minute drive round later it's holding temp at normal levels.

A longer drive out to test in the very near future.
1988 T25 Komet 1.9 DG petrol

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

I would recommend a second bleed once you’ve done a few
hundred miles too, just to get the last of the air out.
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

.....and when you think its bled, bleed and top up again.

Good work OP. I flushed my coolant last week and used a rad flush. Took 5 flushed to get clean water out. The rad flush took alot of dirt out.
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love