Buying an AHU Engine. What to look for.

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Al Housman
80-90 Mem No: 11858

Buying an AHU Engine. What to look for.

Post by Al Housman »

A bit late this but I'm going to look at an AHU engine in a Mk3 Golf tomorrow. It has about 100k on it whch is born out by its MOT history.
Apart from smoke issues and general noise is there anything I should be on the lookout for. It's still in the car so can be seen/heard running.

I bought my current engine (AAZ) after hearing it in the vehicle so have a reasonable idea of what's what but wondered if there were issues specific to the AHU engine to consider.

Also what ancillaries do I need to complete the conversion? The wiring loom would be a good start but do I need things like accelerator pedal, oil/water/temperature sensors . I won't have a rev counter in my truck. 

I hadn't really planned on going down this route right now. My AAZ is running sweet enough and is due a bit of TLC come spring time but this engine has come up locally and I'm seeing it as a way of futureproofing my work truck, as and when I get round to fitting it.

He wants £600 for it.

Cheers