Heating

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mjhayes
80-90 Mem No: 0

Heating

Post by Mjhayes »

Aircooled heating solutions please - I use the van as a daily and am looking for alternative ways of heating/demisting whilst on the move - if a parking heater is the answer where do people mont it and is there a supplier/fitter near London

Thanks
1982 2.0 air cooled single Webber carb 4 speed gearbox

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Heating

Post by Mocki »

Before investing in a “parking” heater , take some time to check and maintain your original heating system …..
Assuming you have good working heat exchangers and flaps on them , the next most important thing is the ducting from the heat exchangers to the front , it must be airtight , all the joins must not leak .
I wise man once showed me the difference on a CU between a poorly maintained heater duct and one that had been worked on

Basically by using strips of cloth saturated in multi purpose grease at each joint you can ensure all the heat actually makes it to the front without bringing cold air with it and without loosing the airflow from the fan along the way .

That said a if you go down the “parking” heater route , dont be tempted to run its outlet into the original heater box , you will waste most of the heat generated . There is plenty of room behind the grill for installing the heater if you wanted, but equally under the glovebox is space you cannot use for anything else .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Mjhayes
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Mjhayes »

Great advice - I’d rather my own heater do the job.

Do you know if any videos or resources that will help me get to grips with the system or once I climb under there is it fairly self explanatory

Thanks
1982 2.0 air cooled single Webber carb 4 speed gearbox

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

It’s really self explanatory once you get under there , follow the big duct from the fuel tank back to the engine and all will become evident
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

rollercoaster
80-90 Mem No: 6231

Post by rollercoaster »

No harm in fitting a thermostatic heater too,
wether gas powered or possibly petrol as you like.
I love coming to an already warm van sometimes.
It is a joy for when out "camping" in the van too,
even on "chilly" summers evenings!
Live as if you were to die tomorrow
Learn as if you were to live forever

Syncro Danbury 2.0 petrol AGG

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

I have a Diesel running on kerosene in the front for cab heating when on the move.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

mike the van
80-90 Mem No: 1491

Post by mike the van »

It might be worth checking that the big black corrugated heater pipe that runs all the way underneath front to back is clear, reason is that it is made of layers of foil and paper, the inner layer of paper on mine had all flaked off with age and blocked up the airflow, took it off at the front end and stuck hoover pipe down the big pipe, sooked out loads of bits, worked a whole load better. Oil leaks onto heat exchangers can make fumes, but when all airtight and working well can get really hot.   
Good heat exchangers are hen’s teeth and carry premium price, original vow ones are the best with more metal fins to transfer heat from exhaust.

Mike