Not running on Petrol

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Not running on Petrol

Post by crazyhorse »

Hi guys,

Van is running great on LPG, but if I switch it to petrol no response from throttle and slowly runs to a stall. As if there is a blockage..

Had trouble buying LPG today so I ran out of gas about 5 miles from home knowing that it wouldnt run on petrol (yes I know I should have sorted it).

So have left it outside someones house (i did let them know) and will return in the morning to try and get it started on petrol.

Any ideas, pointers where to start?
There is £30 of fuel in there..
Filter looks mank, will change that
i did read about taking the pancake off and throwing an egg cup of fuel down the carb a few times..
any other ideas would be really appreciated
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Re: Not running on Petrol

Post by shepster »

Basic carb/fuel issues really, blocked jets, fuel filter or pump.

Just strip and clean all parts, plenty of info on here.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Is your petrol cut off solenoid working ? They seize up if you dont use them on petrol enough ? Try turning the thumbscrew under the solenoid with the control switch in the cab switched to petrol
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

Mocki wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 20:47 Is your petrol cut off solenoid working ? They seize up if you dont use them on petrol enough ? Try turning the thumbscrew under the solenoid with the control switch in the cab switched to petrol

thanks itchyfeet for pic...

This here I presume??
There is a lever underneath, which way should it be up or down. Open or closed? Is there a way to test?
Pulling a pipe from here inside is dry..

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

Ok, yes so yours is the cheaper type with a lever under the solenoid, sorry i described the earlier type with a thumb wheel .
That is the petrol switch , the lever overrides the electronic switching. If yours is the same as that picture then its after the mechanical pump , so if the pipe is dry the pump isnt pumping . Try running it on lpg with the petrol pipe off at the solenoid with some thing to catch the petrol should it appear .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

Mocki wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 09:40 Ok, yes so yours is the cheaper type with a lever under the solenoid, sorry i described the earlier type with a thumb wheel .
That is the petrol switch , the lever overrides the electronic switching. If yours is the same as that picture then its after the mechanical pump , so if the pipe is dry the pump isnt pumping . Try running it on lpg with the petrol pipe off at the solenoid with some thing to catch the petrol should it appear .

thanks steve,
yep after Pump

Biggest problem now is.. I am out of LPG, might be enough to start it... and run for a bit, but i doubt it... Its parked 5 miles from the house..

Should it be flowing?? Sorry for the questions.. Is it fair to say that whatever is the problem would be before this petrol switch no matter if its up or down..

I read the pump test in the haynes.. pushing the rod down tosee if fuel comes out of the outlet..
Will change filter first and see if that makes a difference..

thanks

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

To get it home , by pass the petrol switch solenoid altogether , run a pip from the pump to the carb , throw a half egg sup full down the top of the carb and it should go , once you have changed the filter down by the tank .
How old is the petrol |?? This new eco Shiite petrol suck moisture out of the air and goes stale in weeks .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

£30 spent yesterday in the hope it was lack of fuel (gauge is broken).

filter changed. put some fuel in a small container. Old one was grosse. bypassed solenoid.

chucked half a egg cup down carb. started.. died, did it 4-5 times. Still no go..
Took fuel pump off.. rod has no spring when pushed down.. should it??

Took the outlet pipe off and pushed the pump leaver and no fuel came through.
Is the pump screwed??

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

The pump pushrod is driven directly off the cam, there is no “spring” in it, it only moves a tiny amount as well. The push rod should be 100mm long , any less, even 0.25mm will stop it working correctly . How long is it since it ran on petrol?? My money is on the pump diaphragm being goosed ??
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

Mocki wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 17:03 The pump pushrod is driven directly off the cam, there is no “spring” in it, it only moves a tiny amount as well. The push rod should be 100mm long , any less, even 0.25mm will stop it working correctly . How long is it since it ran on petrol?? My money is on the pump diaphragm being goosed ??

Thanks again...

Havent run on petrol for at least 3 months.. Replaced the rod about 5 years ago, but havent used often at all...

time for a new pump or is there another test I can do

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

If you are lucky, just sucking petrol through it will get it working short term, until you have chance to diagnose it properly
The best option is an electric pump and blank the mechanical pump port off . This also means you can do away with the petrol switch off solenoid and the electric pump will do both jobs

This the one i fitted https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151168013636 ... media=COPY down near the tank outlet where the filter is , powered from the wires that go to the petrol switch off solenoid
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

Mocki wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 20:05 If you are lucky, just sucking petrol through it will get it working short term, until you have chance to diagnose it properly
The best option is an electric pump and blank the mechanical pump port off . This also means you can do away with the petrol switch off solenoid and the electric pump will do both jobs

This the one i fitted https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151168013636 ... media=COPY down near the tank outlet where the filter is , powered from the wires that go to the petrol switch off solenoid
Thanks so much for that.

So next test is to suck the inline to fuel pump.

Thanks for the link, but I feel that will just make me ask more questions.. but at that price its certainly tempting. How tough iwill it be to do?

I have priced up a replacement pump and all the gubbins at £30

With the electric one, as you say will it just be a case of screwing it by the filter on the bottom of the van. Then running the 2 wires from the engine bay switch off solenoid to this pump..

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

Basically you use the two wires off the petrol switch off solenoid to control a 4 pin 30amp auto relay for the fuel pump . Very simple .
You can take the power from the alternator via the relay - happy to draw you a diagram if you need it
The pump just needs two self tappers into the inner cill where the existing inline fuel filter is .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

Mocki wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 21:35 Basically you use the two wires off the petrol switch off solenoid to control a 4 pin 30amp auto relay for the fuel pump . Very simple .
You can take the power from the alternator via the relay - happy to draw you a diagram if you need it
The pump just needs two self tappers into the inner cill where the existing inline fuel filter is .

Brill...

sounds easy...diagram sounds amazing thanks again

the simpler the better...

In the meantime, will attempt to suck fuel through tomorrow and if not succesfull will have to get van recovered..

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀