Rear door/gutter leak

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

caffers2
80-90 Mem No: 0

Rear door/gutter leak

Post by caffers2 »

The rear left and right corners are leaking, particularly when the van is on a slope with the rear lower than the front. You can see slight brown area where it has leaked. It drips not too quickly.
Any advice welcome. I have replaced rear seal and that didn't help, Possibly coming from the pop top seal?

Who could I take it to to repair?

Many thanksImageImage

caffers2

gutter leaking

Post by caffers2 »

So after pouring water into gutter it started to leak at the back inside the van. 

It seems the gutter was sealed by previous owner. Should I go over it with some sikaflex or would need to take it all off first?

Many thanks
ImageImage

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Rear door/gutter leak

Post by R0B »

It's possible the rot is taking hold under the roof.As the water is getting in somewhere. This happens quite a lot. Here's a really bad example of what can happen. This is what keynsham1 found under his.

2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

caffers2

Post by caffers2 »

Wow that looks horrendous, thank you for sharing.

Any suggestions on what to do next or who I could take it to ?

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Removing the roof will be time-consuming and pretty costly I should imagine. As for who could do it I can't help you there sorry. What area do you live? There may be a VW restoration place near you.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

As already advised, water leaking from the rear is most likely due to roof corrosion. If you cannot find someone to lift the roof and repair it then it’s a case of limiting further corrosion. Removing old sealant from the gutters, treating any rust and then applying a good quality sealant/adhesive such as Silkaflex or Serious Stuff will help.

Hi-Tops usually have rubber seals front and rear and these need to be checked to ensure no gaps or deterioration of the rubber. You could also use a waterproof breathable cover for winter use if the van is being laid up.

I injected Dynax S50 anti corrosion treatment all along the interior sections where the HI Top sits on the roof - Dynax S50 is an excellent anti rust treatment and comes in a large spray can and supplied with a 50cm extension nozzle. Access will depend on the design of the interior roof but have a look and see if you could get a tube where the Hi Top meets the Roof.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

caffers2

Post by caffers2 »

Many thanks, I will try some sealant and keep you updated.

Komet_V2
80-90 Mem No: 2

Post by Komet_V2 »

Mine leaks at the near side rear but often bone dry when I park with the van pointing down on a pitch even in very heavy rain. Have the rear lower, then its guaranteed to leak/drip. Assume less  overwhelming flow of water when pointing downhill.

There's about an inch of the tailgate rusted away that the tailgate seal goes over. I've always hoped it was this and would be solved through welding in the missing area rather than rust under the roof. Another issue, though,  as yet not dealt with! Need to do some water tests.

Good luck
VW Komet 1989, DG, water-cooled, manual, pastel white, aka Moray

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

I would not re seal with Sika.

I resealed mine 6 years ago. I holds water and the sika shrinks over time becoming a water trap.

so this summer I pulled all mine out (Westy Hightop) a horrible job. A kettle nearby really helps to pour boiling water on. Softens the old sika and old rubber. I cleaned out the gutters meticulously. Treated with copious amount of rust converter. 3 layers red oxide, 3 layers primer, 3 layers marine paint.

Any rain and the gutters do what they should, usher the water away.
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love