Battery Tray Corrosion

Technical questions & answers only, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
Technical questions & answers only. Please try to search the Wiki or Tech Archive first.
Nick Stroud
80-90 Mem No: 0

Battery Tray Corrosion

Post by Nick Stroud »

Having recently purchased a T25 1.6 JX TD I have found the Rear right hand side outboard battery tray (not used as the battery sits on the tray inboard of this one) has corroded through.

On inspection during a rainy day I have found the source of water coming down the inside of the van from the right rear vent grill.

I'll replace the tray back to design intent but just wondered if there is a fix for this by blocking off the vent

The vent doesn't seem to supply anything unlike on the other side where it is connected to the air intake.

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Re: Battery Tray Corrosion

Post by Jim San »

The vent is for cooling - it draws air up away from the engine is how i see it.

Mine has rotted through also as th ewater finds its way in and sits there. I'll repair the damage and modify it to include a few drain holes to let the water out again.

VW had some funny ideas when it comes to cars and water - their use of moisture holding sound foam where moisture will definatlely get is mind boggling
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'