Coolant pipe replacement

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Williambrown
80-90 Mem No: 16711

Coolant pipe replacement

Post by Williambrown »

My van is in the process of having its coolant pipes replaced, specifically the long metal ones running front to rear, which have rusted through. The work is being done for a fee by a friend with (some) assistance from me. I have stainless steel replacement pipes from JK which appear to match my van model and year The van is a 1981 model (LHD Austrian import, formerly a minibus, with a 1.6 turbo diesel engine). The pipes are the earlier 32mm ones. However, there seems to be an unnecessary kink in the (engine) end of one pipe which takes it too close to the fuel filter. The original does not have this. I will (attempt to) attach a picture of thr rear section of the old and new pairs of pipes to illustrate. The pair on the bottom right are the ones that don't seem to match. I have, of course queried this with JK too but am waiting for a response. I don't  know if the pipe is simply the wrong one. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks, John.Image

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Coolant pipe replacement

Post by maxstu »

Send them back....besides l thought they came with joining sections for ease of fitting?

https://brickwerks.co.uk/product/coolan ... arly-32mm/
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Williambrown

Post by Williambrown »

Thanks, yes, I think I'm minded to do that. I've had a response from JK but nothing very helpful so far. It's such a laborious process when they will only deal with email messages rather than speaking on the telephone. Cheers.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Each pipe should be in two parts with a joining connector. Are they full length pipes? JK list 32mm pipes in four pieces? What do you have? :?
MaxStu

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

Hmm. Mine came from JK the other year, as others have said they come in two sections. Is that photo one pipe (in two)?
What was the description when you ordered them?
1983 wbx dg
the future is unwritten

Williambrown

Post by Williambrown »

Hello. Thanks for the replies. Sorry but my picture may be misleading. We cut the original pipes to aid removal. The front parts of the replacements are ok. The new ones do come in two sections, as you say, but I only photographed the rear sections (new alongside originals) to show where one original differs from the replacement.
JK have suggested returning them for a refund. 
However, I have checked the replacements on Brickwerks' website (replacements for early steel pipes, 32mm petrol and diesel models) and those too look very similar to the JK ones, ie, both with a bend at the end rather than one bent and one not, as with my originals.
My van has a replacement engine which is a 1.6 turbo diesel from a 1986 Golf but I wouldn't imagine this was the problem as I believe that's a fairly standard swap and the original coolant pipes fitted fine afterwards. I know Brickwerks are knowledgeable and their parts good quality so I'm puzzled as to the best course of action now. Any comments much appreciated! John

jrt

Post by jrt »

Thanks for clearing that up, I though they looked a bit stumpy 😂.
Hopefully someone will be able to help.
How much out is it.Have you tried rotating it when sliding it through? I know when I did mine I had a nightmare getting them positioned correctly.
David.
the future is unwritten

Williambrown

Post by Williambrown »

Sorry, forgot to say JK product description was  stainless steel coolant pipes, feed & return, 32mm, T25 1979 to '85, diesel and petrol models. I know the engine is from a 1986 Golf, but the old coolant pipes fitted to it no problem, so I'm a bit baffled now. John

Cecil
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Cecil »

Was your van originally air cooled  (1981 !)and has a diesel filter been added in the wrong place. We’re your pipes made up to suit rather than to the normal shape.

E D I T
   I see t25 diesel (water cooled)introduced in February 1981.

jrt

Post by jrt »

Post up a photo of the problem area.
As above how close is it to fitting, have you twisted the pipes or is it miles out?
David.
the future is unwritten

Williambrown

Post by Williambrown »

Hello Cecil. Thanks for the suggestions. The van is entirely standard apart from the engine swap (and conversion from minibus to camper, years ago). The pipes are the originals - that's certainly 41 years' worth of rust on them! I believe the water-cooled diesel was not an official UK import in 1981 but I do know its history. It was bought by a friend's brother in the mid-nineties, in Austria, where he lives. My friend then bought it from his brother and imported it to the UK around 1997. He owned it up to 2018, when he sold it to me. So I'm pretty confident in saying it's  not been messed with too much and the old pipes were standard. As far as I'm aware, the fuel filter is standard as for the Golf engine. I don't know if that differs from the original non-turbo diesel engine but certainly the old pipes fitted that engine too. It's  quite puzzling. 

Hello JRT, I will try and sort out some pictures. My mate Andy did the "offering up" (as the Haynes manuals always say) while I was away so I'm going from what he told me. I'm really not sure if it's miles out or only slightly. But it's currently immobile on my drive in Derbyshire (fuel tank off) so if I can manoeuvre underneath with my phone I'll try and do some pics. 

Cheers, John

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Methinks you need to change your location in your profile, that way you might find someone is close and can assist you ?
I also think you should be able to swivel the pipes to fit where your filter is ?
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Williambrown

Post by Williambrown »

Thanks. I changed jobs and moved a few months ago, so profile/location now updated! 
JK have now said they think the pipe may be wrong and have offered to swap it, so fingers crossed this works out ok.

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

maxstu wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 06:35 Send them back....besides l thought they came with joining sections for ease of fitting?

https://brickwerks.co.uk/product/coolan ... arly-32mm/

They sell the same ones too

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

What they sell is not always what they send???
Yet l do use JK and never had a problem. But not my first choice of supplier. My camper is insured with them too.
MaxStu