How do I convert panel van to have side windows

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

NoGearNoIdea
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by NoGearNoIdea »

Firstly, to all those that would come here just to tell me not to. Life’s too short to care about 40yr old men getting upset over a van. Sorry guys

Anyways, as the title says how do I convert the panel van to a window van. From my understanding I need to cut the opening add a seal and then pop a window in.

Now I’ve found seals on just kampers but what windows do I use? Are those seals even the right ones, part number J14042

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Re: How do I convert panel van to have side windows

Post by Robsey »

First thing I would do, is find out the size of the glass for the windows.
There are a few different sizes out there.

Measure many times, and draw out the outline of the proposed hole for the window.

Then it is just a matter of cutting out with a jigsaw or nibbler, taking your time.

Dress off all the cut edges, and then prime and paint to minimise / delay the onset of corrosion.

From here, I recommend getting a trusted friend or two to assist with fitting of the seal (get the correct conversion seal shape, not the factory fit camper window seal - it is a different profile).

And then fitting the glass(now with seal) to the van body.

Locate the seal in the bottom of the hole, then using the draw-string method, ease the seal into place working your way out and upwards around the periphery of the hole in the bodywork.

It is too big and unweildy to do it by yourself.

I am sure someone one knowledgable will come along to advise how much bigger the hole in the van should be to allow for the thickness of the seal to fit properly.

Finally - Google and Youtube are a useful source of videos for this kind of thing.

I am sure using a search term like "Fitting a Window to a Vanagon" will yield plenty of results.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

Michael4
80-90 Mem No: 16731

Post by Michael4 »

Have a look around the  Seals Direct website

https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/

Lots of good info.
1985 1.9 DG Devon Moonraker with solid sided pop top

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

It’s cooler as a panel. You’ll learn this later on in life. Panels are rare; hacked panels with after market windows are not.

Maybe some commercial writing on the side?

Sell it and buy a Velle if you want windows.

Better still, keep it and be original.

50 year old man (x3 T25’s so far)

Last edited by DoubleOSeven on 17 Jul 2022, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

kevin930
80-90 Mem No: 15373

Post by kevin930 »

Hi, 
Why not see if you can get a 2nd hand sliding door with window already in place, fit it and see if it suits your plans. Keep the uncut door and if you decide to sell in the future, you can offer the option of returning to panel Van. My van was originally a panel Van and had been converted this way when I bought it. It is really bright enough inside for me.
1990 tin top converted panel van/aaz engine

cobblers
80-90 Mem No: 17450

Post by cobblers »

The bodge way to do it is to just cut the holes and fit aftermarket windows. They don't sit flush, and they look crap.
When I converted my panel van, I did it properly - cutting the window recesses from a caravelle and welding them in, then fitting OE VW windows which sit flush.

This was ten years ago, I made a nice job of if, but I really regret cutting that lovely original van up.
A sliding door with a window in is an easy swap and a good compromise, it gives you the visibility at junctions that a panel van lacks and will let enough light in to stop it feeling like a cave

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Chop it up to suits your need/ taste etc , they made plenty so not rare , it’s fairly easy to do too