Late Westfalia split charge relay

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sweetaswesty
80-90 Mem No: 12543

Late Westfalia split charge relay

Post by sweetaswesty »

I'm refitting our Westfalia camper loom etc. and I've been trying to work out what does what etc. I've read all the threads on this topic I could find and due to my own limitations it's taken me a while to understand and I'd be grateful if someone could tell me I've got it right before I connect everything up and create a big disaster.
I've drawn out the relay connections based on what I've got in the van and diagrams I've found on the forum and elsewhere. 
As I understand it...
(i) The Westfalia BBB charger charges the leisure battery directly through a red/yellow lead from the charger to the leisure battery when it's connected to the mains.
(ii) The BBB charger charges the starter battery through the two always connected 87 terminals on the relay with a red/black wire coming from the charger and a red/white wire heading off to the starter battery.
(iii) When the engine is running a low current wire (blue) on 85 from the alternator/ignition switch? connects 87 to 30 joining leisure and starter batteries and allowing the alternator to charge the leisure battery. The blue wire also connects to the fridge relay so it works off 12v when the engine is running.
Is that right? If I've not quite understood what's happening and when, it's maybe not so bad if I've actually got the connections right, so are my diagrams correct? Thanks so much for any help!

1991 Westfalia California Hightop1.9tdi

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: Late Westfalia split charge relay

Post by clift_d »

There’s a full circuit diagram for the Joker and Club Joker here courtesy of westfaliat3.info
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

sweetaswesty

Post by sweetaswesty »

clift_d wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 20:09 There’s a full circuit diagram for the Joker and Club Joker here courtesy of westfaliat3.info
Yes, I’ve looked at that one but the resolution is poor and it’s hard at best to make out the terminal numbers and wire colours, also wire colours seem to have changed in later Westfalias. But having said that I think my diagram makes sense compared with it.
I’ve looked at Bentley also but that’s different again. I think maybe because US Vanagons didn’t get the charger. Anyway the relay only has four positions and the 30 terminal is connected to the starter battery and the wiring colours are different in Bentley.

sweetaswesty

Post by sweetaswesty »

Well I connected everything up and it all works OK. So on that basis the diagram is correct for a '91 Westy California. The problem is that VW seem to have changed the colour of the wires at various times and also the Bentley and Westfalia Joker wiring diagrams which are the ones generally available don't match up. Someone who's less of a dunderhead than me might not be phased by this But I definitely was.
So for sure, on a Westfalia California when the engine is not running the charger charges the leisure battery through the red/yellow cable direct from the charger to the leisure battery positive and the starter battery through the red/black cable from the charger to the relay and then on through the red/white cable to the starter battery positive, both of which are connected to terminal 87, which is permanently linked within the relay - which is contrary to at least some of the info I found online.
When the engine is running the alternator charges the leisure battery through the relay by connecting terminal 87 to terminal 30.

Billby
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Billby »

Im having a similar nightmare trying to work out my wiring. After having a new fridge fitted things just seem to have gone to "cock" :oops:
On your diagram 87 and 86 are red and black wires. Could you tell me which of those is the ticker and thinner wire please?
I had a Bosch relay which after following the advice on the wiki page I swapped for the bigger lucas relay, but now nothing works and the batteries are completely drained

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Billby
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Billby »

Thanks 👍
The Club 8090 wiki page suggests a different Lucas/durite relay.
I've re-orded the equivalent Bosch relay. I just need to confirm the wiring colours to the relevant terminals now.