Floor advice

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Shinnster
80-90 Mem No: 17392

Floor advice

Post by Shinnster »

Hey all,

the time has come to try to replace the floor (well the carpet) in my van , as having carpet isnt good when carrying wet surfboards!
I have metal strips down each side of the floor at the moment (see pics below) and just wondered what these are for? I mean are they required to be put back in when I put in the new floor, or are they just to make it look tidy?
Also, how do i remove them? is it literally a case of just drilling those circle things out?

My plan is to just glue down some vinyl layer to the wood already there to make it kind of waterproof, easy to clean.

1988 1.9 DG, 4 speed Tin top with double sliders.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Floor advice

Post by R0B »

it's an edge protector and they are rivets. You can drill the top off. Personally, I would not get rid of it, because as the name implies they protect the edge of the flooring.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Shinnster

Post by Shinnster »

but surely i have to remove them to get the carpet from the floor? ive tried lifting the carpet, tugging at it, forcing it but it doesnt want to come up.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

I didn't say dont remove them to replace the carpet. I meant I would reinstall them once you have replaced the flooring. Although that is not the original protector.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

OwenP
80-90 Mem No: 17353

Post by OwenP »

As ROB says, they're kick plates to cover the edges of the flooring and stop you catching it when you get in and out and pull it apart letting water, sand etc. in under your floor.

Do what you said, drill out the rivets and take it off, put the flooring in then screw it back on. You'll need to either use screws with a flat bottom to the head (usually with a domed top) or countersink the screws to stop them sticking up with sharp edges.

You can also get a new replacement one from a T25 shop if you think the old one's too shabby to reuse.
1983 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Shinnster

Post by Shinnster »

thanks for the advice. gonna get on this in the next few weeks and see how i get on!