real mpg figures for T3's V T4's

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

t25adict
80-90 Mem No: 0

real mpg figures for T3's V T4's

Post by t25adict »

so.. we have a 1.9td t4 short wheel base window van. (not a camper)
and I am working on our t3 crew cab which at this point is a 1.9td (aaz).

we are trying to work out what to take down to Spain is the future, I have never really don the hold working out the MPG thing. But with things getting really silly price wise now on diesel we have to decide what to take some what based on MPG as well.

we have a economic family car but it has not got the space we want for the things we want to take so that is not what we really want to do.

what do people get mpg wise out of there vans (not roof high/low.. just tin top) with 1.9aaz engines and are crew cabs any worse for mpg than the vans??

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough

Oren Kipnis
80-90 Mem No: 17352

Re: real mpg figures for T3's V T4's

Post by Oren Kipnis »

Although a high roof, but my T3 Syncro camper with an AFN engine (TDI, 110 hp) returns 34 MPG on the road, and can drop to 28-29 offroading.
I never cross the 95 kmh / 60 mph mark.

A well maintained TD should deliver around the same figures either for a T3 or a T4.
1990 ex. German Army Syncro, 3 knob, AFN, M469 fully converted to 16". Camper conversion by URO CAMPER in Seville.

t25adict

Post by t25adict »

I would like to do a 1Z conversion (as I have the engine and complete loom etc) but that is the next step on.

I would think a 2wd with less driven load/rolling weigh (road tyres etc) on the engine and a non high roof would get better figures than a high roof.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

unless you do GPS mileage and full to full fuel readings then most people's economy figures are somewhat unreliable because even on standard tyres our trip meters aren't exact and for the Syncros the actual speedo drive, final drive and tyre size make most mileage readings pretty inaccurate unless well calibrated and factored into the maths; just saying

Take the vehicle that will be most comfortable for everyone in your party and that you will get the best use out of, keep your speed below 60 and enjoy the trip; an original T4 with 5 speed box should be more economical than T3, and possibly more reliable than AAZ conversion, I think. T3 may be better drive, more smiles per mile. Car will be most economic but most cramped clearly.

davegsm82

Post by davegsm82 »

I just want to chime in on MPG since I've been monitoring economy very closely since fuel became rare, then not so rare but very expensive. 

My remapped AFN with 5 speed flipped box in a high top was getting high 20's to low 30's most of the time, then last week I changed the injectors for some 20,000 mile old rebuilt units (well... the 3 that I could get out of the head) and now it's consistently providing mid 30's, even better if I drive carefully. Throttle response is also better and there's power from 1500rpm instead of 1800-1900 like previously. 

It's more of a reminder to myself that stuff wears out but will keep on working. A set of DSLA150P520 nozzles will set you back about £60, I've not worked out how long it would take to make that back in savings...
'87 Devon TDi 'Lily'

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

I would say an AAZ has a 8-10 L/100kms consumption depending the speed. Not sure if the doka body makes a difference.
With the 1Z mtdi I have all around 6.5-9 L/100kms depending the conditions. Mostly around 7.5 since the poptop is installed.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

sweetaswesty
80-90 Mem No: 12543

Post by sweetaswesty »

We kept a record of our fuel use over our recent 1900 mile trip to the south of France and back and we averaged just over 41mpg. We took our time and our top speed was only around 100kph but we averaged lower speeds than that as we hardly ever drove on motorways. We did a fair amount of mountain/ hill climbing though. The best we did from top up to top up over two days was just under 45mpg. I think this might have been wind assisted! This for a fully laden Westfalia hightop with a 1z tdi with two bikes on the back. We reckon to always get better mpg in France than we do at home. I think the sweet spot for this engine in terms of economy comes at a bit over 2000 rpm and we get our best mpg when we change gear to keep it around there and maybe just a bit higher. I might be wrong on that and I’m always willing to learn if that’s the case.
1991 Westfalia California Hightop1.9tdi

t25adict

Post by t25adict »

what were the prices like for diesel in France?  I the past we found it mad that you could get two petrol stations on the same street 800meter apart but with 20cents difference in price.

we have normally kept away from toll roads apart from the bits where we the route would be more costly/indirect for non toll.

sweetaswesty
80-90 Mem No: 12543

Post by sweetaswesty »

Prices were a bit cheaper than home but kept going up all the time we were away. We used Google maps and an app 1-2-3 Fuel to find the cheapest diesel but the nearest supermarket was often the best. We completely avoided toll roads. They’re not usually much faster unless you’re bombing along and they're also very boring. We usually got Google maps to choose the route setting it up with no tolls and no motorways though we used the A75 toll free autoroute when we were over that way. Google maps took us on some fantastic routes but made no allowances for us driving a thirty year old vehicle and a couple of times particularly on one long and hot day’s driving across the Ardeche we wished we’d had a closer look at the way it was taking us before hand.
1991 Westfalia California Hightop1.9tdi

therealchrisgray

Post by therealchrisgray »

I just drove 2882 km from Poland to Dublin, via a few ferries and diversions, in a 1980 T3 with what is believed to be a 1.9l diesel engine. Unladen panel van, on old snow tyres (205R16s, so all the following numbers mean nothing!)

Autobahn pretty much the whole way, sitting behind a truck, at a safe distance and trundling along at 90-100, I got ~8l/100km. There was one day where I tootled along at more like 80kmh, and managed 7.1l/100km.

Planning to go to Spain next winter. Ferry from Cork to Bilbao is €250 and takes ~30 hrs. That's a no-brainer.
1980 T3 panel van, LHD, random 1.9l diesel, imported from Poland to NI. New poptop currently stored in van pending install.

t25adict

Post by t25adict »

we have done the Santander route before, only down side to that is the sea can be rough at some times of year if you are not ok with rough sea then get its not fun. I have only ever felt it once when it was very rough.

we were went down to Spain in our Sharan in the end,  less space than our T4 but faster and better on fuel.
We are set on using our T3, crew cab next year.

saw quite a few T3's in France and Spain. Three T3's  on the ferry from Dieppe to Newhaven on Monday and even a T2.

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

As Aidan said, take the comfy one and drive it using your lightest shoes.

T3 will be the most thirsty but they are not crazy bad. I get around 30 from my 1z Syncro.
Our T4 2.5tdi used to give us low 40s when cruising at 61mph
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

Timburrows
80-90 Mem No: 14187

Post by Timburrows »

I have an AAZ in a t3 syncro doka,the speedo agrees with the satnat on speed,miles are about 3%less,running 225/70 -15 tyres returns 32 mpg general driving 50-55 mph,my t4 1.9 td camper has the same tyre size weighs 2.1 tons,inter cooled and moderately tweaked gives 36 mpg at the same easy holiday driving,more comfortable car like driving but 2 hours at 75 mph will drop it down to about 22.more smiles in the t3 daily driver though

keynsham1

Post by keynsham1 »

My T25 1.9DG hitop returns 26mpg on average.

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

Slight digression - We did the ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao, and back, a few years ago. Top tip - when you check in, and when you're being loaded, ask them to find a space for your van below deck with the freight traffic... vintage vehicle, etc, etc. It'll mean that you won't get loaded until right at the end, and that you'll be one of the last off the ferry, but at least it will keep your van away from the 30 hour salt spraying it would get if it ends up above deck.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro