Opinions on rust

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

georgeartcoll
New user
80-90 Mem No: 0

Opinions on rust

Post by georgeartcoll »

I went to look at this t25 auto sleeper today as I want to travel around Europe for a year. The van is in amazing condition and is currently listed at 9k however there is some rust. It’s MOT highlights some underneath the drivers side step, which looks like this, and there has also been some welding work done to the joints on the edge of the van, which I gather are integral. I just wanted some extra opinions, as I am not yet an expert, and was wondering it was worth the buy? Especially since everything else, including the engine is in such good condition. It is a 1.9 water cooled petrol. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Opinions on rust

Post by multisi »

The rust on the steps isnt a major issue, it can be cut out and patched up , the areas above the rear jacking points are looking like there could be big expensive problems to deal with sooner or later, the van has been tarted up recently and is showing signs of rusting badly inside those areas.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

georgeartcoll
New user

Post by georgeartcoll »

multisi wrote:The rust on the steps isnt a major issue, it can be cut out and patched up , the areas above the rear jacking points are looking like there could be big expensive problems to deal with sooner or later, the van has been tarted up recently and is showing signs of rusting badly inside those areas.
What kind of price would I be looking at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

I’d agree with multisi, and I don’t think anyone worth their salt would give a price for the work, on the basis of those photos as that lovely paint job is very likely to be hiding more nasties.

You could always post more pics and we can point out areas to look at.

Generally, holes under the high top (if it’s a high top), rear arches, rear battery boxes (tho the batteries may be under the front seats), sills, fridge panel (middle side of van behind driver), round the windows, particularly the bottom corners of the windscreen.

Look at the MOT history too, online.

Whatever you buy will likely have issues, but it’s all part of the fun.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

Oh, and the middle slider rail…

paperhouselad
80-90 Mem No: 10768

Post by paperhouselad »

I agree with all of the above, definitely looks to have been filled around the trailing arm support area, a big can of worms  inside there.

cobblers
80-90 Mem No: 17450

Post by cobblers »

The sill over the trailing arm mount is full of filler on one side and bubbly on the other side. By the time the outer has bubble, the internal structure is long gone.
My syncro externally looked a lot better than this one, but to put it right was near £2k in panels and labour, plus paint!

cobblers
80-90 Mem No: 17450

Post by cobblers »

turned into

which turned into:

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

Oh so familiar.
Maybe the best answer to the op is, if you have to ask the price, you’re better off buying a welder and putting off your travel plans. Europe will (hopefully) still be there.

Siobhan

Post by Siobhan »

Hi I thought I would ad my bit of experience. I too like you were searching for a van for a few years. I kept sending pics to a resto expert of vans around 7-9K and he came back each time and said you are going to spend another 9K on it. Eventually I bought off ebay last year a T25 pop top water cooled 1984 for £1800. I had to have it towed from Bude as I am in Bristol. The previous MOT didn't look bad at all but it had been off road for two years.  The resto guy spoke to the seller - lovely guy who had tried to put in different engine and couldn't manage. It had a fair bit of rust but the resto guy said none was serious serious though there was a lot to do. He gave me a budget of £12-14K.....well......I have now spent £14600K and have a great van undersealed, 2L engine, power steering, new radiator, coolers and full electrics working with fridge and cooker.....however I still have considerable rust to address. None of it is urgent and doesn't need the interior pulling out but just to let you know the cost involved.....the hob though working leaked and couldn't be repaired and that involved buying old replacement on ebay and with gas checks etc the cost was an additional £600 so I am well over budget. I have more rust to address over coming years and have just got back from Cornwall where I managed to scrape the entire side sliding door.....another £600 it seems though I am going to ask advice from anyone who knows a body work guy in Bristol who does T25 vintage vans!!!! Anyone got any ideas?  So I would say tread very very cautiously. You won't get a decent T25 for £10. Also beware of anyone who has done a recent respray as that will be covering up stuff that will come through.

I am posting some pics for you to see Betty. 

Hope this helps. ImageImageImageImageImageImage