Pierburg 2E3

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JonathanR
80-90 Mem No: 0

Pierburg 2E3

Post by JonathanR »

Hi all - a topic done to death - but new to me. Just as Im heading offf for a trip my carb starts playing up. It keeps cutting out when first starting so have to keep revs up and keep slipping the clutch. It seems to run better with the air filter disconnected. 1991 water cooled 1.9 engine. But in all honestry driving down the road is a no go.
The obvious route is to strip and clean. But are there some simple tasks I can try first without removing the carburettor. i.e
Remove jets to see whether blocked.
Remove pump to check diaphragm condition.
One thing Ive noted is that the choke butterfly seems to be stuck open and I dont see how to get it to close.
There are a lot of threads on here and one had a lot of referrals to other threads but the links would not open.
Or should I just remove and strip. I dont want to remove everything that is shown in James Akers excellent videos.
Many thanks
Jonathan

1991 Auto Sleeper Trident High Top
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: Pierburg 2E3

Post by Stesaw »

From cold I assume you press the accel pedal down once then start?
Post some pictures of the choke flap and the linkage, might be that the fast idle cam screw isn't sitting right on the cam when it's cold.
Cleaning the jets, you can take the emulsion tube out from the top of the carb and blast it with some carb cleaner or if it's gummed up use a really thin bit of wire, use a flat screwdriver that fits snug to remove it otherwise you could damage it as its soft metal like the jets.

To get at the jets themselves you'd have to remove the top of the carb and you might break the gasket in the process so you'd have to get another one, athough you could get a fine bit of wire and put it down the top of the carb in the hopes to see if they are blocked.

It maybe best to get it disassembled and cleaned as you don't know what crap may have built up in it.
Also when was your fuel filter replaced? no point cleaning a carb if muck will get straight back into it after you've had it serviced :wink:
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

JonathanR

Post by JonathanR »

Thanks @Stesaw Vehicle not been out and about much so fuel might be a little old but has a new petrol tank. That said carb has not been cleaned by me since tank replaced. Can I pop out the little filter in the inlet pipe to carb?

Have to admit from all the reading still not fully understanding mechanism. Not as simple as my 1974 Land Rover!

Choke seems to just sit in open position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

When parked up and engine cold, i use the cold start procedure, i find that if all operating ok i leave it running for a few mins without touching accelerator pedal, then after a bit tap the accelerator pedal a couple of times and the revs drop to normal, this tells me all is ok. Have you checked pipes to airbox et c are connected correctly.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

diabolov
80-90 Mem No: 14844

Post by diabolov »

Hi Jonathan,

I'd second this.....as first port of call
 you can take the emulsion tube out from the top of the carb and blast it with some carb cleaner or if it's gummed up use a really thin bit of wire, use a flat screwdriver that fits snug to remove it otherwise you could damage it as its soft metal like the jets.

Autohomes Kamper 1986 WBX 1.9 DG

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Yeah you could remove the little cone filter and see if it's mucky, that is if you have one. Just make sure your fuel lines dont look all cracked as well while you're at it.

Ok, so from cold when you push the accel pedal down once the choke is stays open?
It maybe that the choke spring isn't connected to the arm, not set right or it's broken. Everything else looks OK at a glance.

Choke spring is held on with three screws, you can remove it with the coolant lines attached to see if the spring is in one piece and is also sitting right. If the choke is stuck open and doesn't close it's a good chance the spring is holding it open, maybe it's bent over on itself.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

JonathanR

Post by JonathanR »

Thanks for helpful comments. Took the carb off and looked at it and failed to identify the reason for choke staying open. So have sent it off to get it rebuilt. I suspect long overdue and with price of petrol i’d like it performing at its best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol