WWYD? Roof removal.

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mrs8925
80-90 Mem No: 0

WWYD? Roof removal.

Post by Mrs8925 »

Our van is currently in the body shop for welding and a respray. When the job was initially discussed for the quote we advised that we were looking to have all visible rust removed including the pop top roof being removed to check for any rust underneath. Fast forward to now, some fault lies with myself for not making sure that the roof removal was in the written quote however, we are now going back and forth as to whether or not taking the roof off is to be done or not. The garage seem reluctant, advising that they never seal properly again after being removed. Having managed to repair around the windscreen without removing the roof, they don't feel the need to remove it.

We sent the van to them totally bare inside, all carpet, headlining and interior fittings have been removed. Obviously, a large amount of the roof is visible from the inside and there are no obvious areas of large concern aside from a couple of small spots of rust above the front cab seats. They look like surface rust if I remember correctly. 

My question is - would we be able to see extensive rust under the pop top from the inside? Are there any areas in particular in which we should poke to see if anything gives? Given that it all looks reasonably clean, are we actually better off leaving the roof on so as not to break the 30 odd year seal? Obviously, our concern is that we get all this welding and a respray without checking under the roof for it to rust sooner rather than later and ruin the work that has been put in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Rascal

Re: WWYD? Roof removal.

Post by Rascal »

Are you sure you have a pop top.... Or do you mean high top?... I have a westfalia pop top and it's litteraly 6 bolts to remove and the roof is visible when the top is open.. Im sure you mean high top.. And if so. Based on other people's experience 100% remove the top.. There is no point spending all that money on your van if you don't do it all properly and ignore the roof an area renowned for rot with a pop top and a 30+ year old seal..

Mrs8925

Post by Mrs8925 »

No, I definitely mean pop top with the area of concern presumably being at the front above the cab. Image

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

tandemsandy
80-90 Mem No: 9604

Post by tandemsandy »

Not a direct comparison so might not be 100% relevant to you, but Vinnie had his side-hinged Leisuredrive poptop removed 2 years ago to replace the canvas.  Roof came off easy, went back on just the same.  Didn't replace the seal around the edge of the poptop.
With the roof open we can inspect 90% of the roof area, and when the roof came off there were no reports of nasties hiding in the 10% we hadn't been able to inspect. 
Us and the guys doing the job felt the bigger risk is handling a 30+ year old fibreglass roof, which may be more brittle now then when it was installed.  If the roof cracks then you've an awkward repair job as little chance of finding a replacement.  We actually had no issues, but I don't know how well made the Leisuredrive roof is compared to yours.

Rob
Sandy & Rob live with Vinnie, an '84 1.9 DG Leisuredrive