WONKY POPTOP!

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T25Hugh
80-90 Mem No: 0

WONKY POPTOP!

Post by T25Hugh »

So the nearside rear corner of my poptop roof has decided to come off its runner and, in doing so, knocked the rest of the roof out of alignment! I've managed to push it back up into position but it'll need to be sorted as I don't fancy driving it off the drive in its current predicament. So far I've tried reconnecting the rear post back into position but the shaft on the nylon wheel looks sheered and the 'chrome top hat thingy' (Latin technical name!) that's supposed to keep the post in place just isn't doing what it's supposed to do, it keeps pinging off when connected to the post inside the runner track - it's as if there's way too much pressure on this back corner section of the roof all of a sudden which is sending the rest of the roof outta whack. I've looked online for a replacement wheel part but all I'm finding is a link to poptop parts that's now dormant. Any ideas as to how I can get this sorted???
ImageImageImageImageImage!!ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
1991 Holdsworth T25 (Pop Top!); 4 speed gearbox; 1.9 diesel (conversion from original 1.9 petrol)

T25Hugh
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: WONKY POPTOP!

Post by T25Hugh »

It's not WONKY anymore! Had the idea in the night to get the post threaded. The weak point was the clip, it just wasn't holding. Long story short, post now threaded with accompanying nut (see pic). Nylon wheel now back in runner channel and side panel bracket reattached. OUTCOME? Seems this pop top gets to pop another day! :D
ImageImage
1991 Holdsworth T25 (Pop Top!); 4 speed gearbox; 1.9 diesel (conversion from original 1.9 petrol)

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Good job with the fix, onto your next job :wink:
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Michael4
80-90 Mem No: 16731

Post by Michael4 »

When it comes to solid sided pop tops I was wondering which worked best.

My grasp of physics and geometry is limited but Holdsworth puts the struts at each end, crossing over like the T25Hugh's and Devon put them down the side and not crossed. Both designs have all four sides solid. The Holdsworth one looks as if the folding of the ends is a bit more complex. The Devon one, ours anyway, is quite hard to get moving but once on its way is fine.

Anyone compared the two?

1985 1.9 DG Devon Moonraker with solid sided pop top