Auto Electric assistance

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jamie.smith
80-90 Mem No: 17475

Auto Electric assistance

Post by jamie.smith »

Hello, after 3 years of trouble free motoring, I have a few niggling electric issues that I'd like to solve. Was wondering if there is anyone in the North London area that could be recommended or help?

1985 VW Autosleeper. Split charge is reading ok both sides. Battery readings ok, fluctuates at LED inline monitor (USB). I know that these aren't great. Have wired in a Dometic CR50 via battery cut off switch to the leisure battery with a 15AMP inline fuse. Stereo is wired into the Leisure battery via main fusebox (bullet type). I have also piggybacked an upgraded LED light at the back with a dual USB socket. Used when driving only to charge tracker.

This weekend, I cleaned the fuse box points and fuses. This seems to have stopped a few gremlins with indicators/ slow wipers and intermittent horn. Also has a new starting issue. Suspected ignition switch but seems fine after previous clean. Have a new starter and have changed the bush.

Over the last few months, the odd issue with fan blower (new motor with PWM) and headlights staying on when switched off. Have upgraded loom from Slaughterhouse, with new relays and direct wore to starter battery. (some gum/fix around the connections to the sidelight bulb holder connections so need to replace)

Issue now is dropping voltage when driving and fluctuating leisure battery reading. Was away at the weekend where solar panel charged up to 13 with fridge running. Yesterday when driving was as low as 9.3. I suspect that I have wired the fridge in wrong and it might need a relay?

I have a split charge relay, hook up (working) and an inverter (new and working).

I am just a little lost with the battery (New last year) and have come to the end of my limited knowledge base.

Any tips/help/assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Auto Electric assistance

Post by Mocki »

I suspect you have alternator issue , if that 9v reading was at the main battery ?
If it was at the leisure battery , either the voltage reading was wrong , or your leisure battery is not being charged when the engine is running

To start with i would be doing a few simple tests to see which direction to move in
Firstly , get a multimeter , dont rely on china voltmeters with no reference

Take a voltage reading at the main connection at the alternator, using the casing of the alternator as negative with the engine at idle ( blip the revs up for kick the alternator into action then let it idle) you should have between 14 and 14.5v

Then do the same test but using the van body as negative (the tail gate lock striker plate ) and compare readings
Then measure the voltage at the main battery , if there is more than 0.5v difference between the first reading you took and the battery voltage , you need to clean the earth points and the main connections
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper