Re-build or re-con?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Fab4Freddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re-build or re-con?

Post by Fab4Freddy »

Hi all, 

I've got a 1985 T3 Transporter that was a 1.6 petrol but was later upgraded to a 1.9 diesel (the engine code escapes me for the moment but Ive got all the specs) Converted to home brew high top vamper.

It had a very bad overheat on a motorway a few years back due to front to back rubber hoses bursting and losing all coolant, but didn’t quite sieze. Tried replacing a few minor (easy) things but it still only does 20 mins before overheating, and blowing all the coolant out the back number plate vent. (didn't and cant personally do head gasket)

Then I left it to sit the last couple of years, but want to get it running again- it still turns over, but am out of MOT, insurance etc

I suspect its not just head gasket/water pump and maybe some quite serious damage to pistons etc It doesn’t pull as well now and stalls when I pull off and it never did before, and sounds a bit 'grindy/rough"

I just don't know a local garage that could tackle this really as I have asked a few and they don't really want to get involved with it - well, one of them did a couple of years ago, and they had no clue and claimed it was all fixed, but in reality it wasn't and they were so clueless they couldn't even do a proper job to fill up the coolant fully. I think they said the coolant just needed proper bleeding and it 100% wasn't that.

So - is there any good VW garage in the Midlands that you would recommend , and if it was needed, do they find the re-con engine for you or you need to do that yourself? And what kind of price would you be expecting a quote to come in at?

Thanks

E D I T - It's an AAZ engine with JX exhaust
1985 1.9td T3 Transporter Homebrew Camper 

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Re-build or re-con?

Post by maxstu »

I think you need to put your trust in Google and feedback about local services. There will be someone reliable nearby. Be a bit more localised than saying Midlands. Ive got three excellent VW garages in 5 miles from my address. They really do exist.
Any reputable service garage will be able to diagnose a faulty head gasket on an AAZ engine. Get the initial test sorted. Then decide with the advice from garage the best options.
It may be a simple head skim and new gasket. Or the worst case a complete replacement engine required.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Fab4Freddy

Post by Fab4Freddy »

maxstu wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 08:16 I think you need to put your trust in Google and feedback about local services. There will be someone reliable nearby. Be a bit more localised than saying Midlands. Ive got three excellent VW garages in 5 miles from my address. They really do exist.
Any reputable service garage will be able to diagnose a faulty head gasket on an AAZ engine. Get the initial test sorted. Then decide with the advice from garage the best options.
It may be a simple head skim and new gasket. Or the worst case a complete replacement engine required.

Cheers. I say Midlands as I am pretty much between Birmingham and Derby and some class it as East Mids, some West Mids - I've got to use a trailer to get it to a garage anyway, so other than a few more £'s and further to travel, I'd rather travel a bit further to garage that other owners have used and found good.

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

I understand your plight...
Start a new post in General asking for recommendations within a 20 miles etc radius of your postcode...just the first bit will do. Not all of it.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Fab4Freddy

Post by Fab4Freddy »

maxstu wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 14:16 I understand your plight...
Start a new post in General asking for recommendations within a 20 miles etc radius of your postcode...just the first bit will do. Not all of it.

Cheers.