New battery drained to 4.4v in a week

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Samanthington
80-90 Mem No: 0

New battery drained to 4.4v in a week

Post by Samanthington »

🙄

- Brand new (1.5weeks old 😖) Bosch S4 007 battery from Tayna…chosen after checking out the forums here (thanks Forums!)

- Nothing but the clock is hooked up to it when stationary, except for a split charge relay for the leisure battery (stereo is hooked up to that). Charge on the LB goes up to 14v whilst driving so I’m guessing the alternator is ok and the drain happened after the last (200mile) journey.

- I can’t do the wiki fuse test until I’ve done Tayna’s trick charge method and got the battery back in, so I guess I’m managing my own expectations by asking here…

- for this amount of draw in a week, what could the worst case scenario be!? I’m hoping starter motor, which I might be able to manage myself, just being a worry wort and a wuss!

- there’s an intermittent ignition problem whereby I get nothing when I turn the key; turn it off, turn on again and all good. Could a dodgy ignition switch drain the battery??

Thanks!
WBX Panel - 1988 1.9DG *2022 E D I T…sparkly new engine from a The VW Engine Co!*

Samanthington

Re: New battery drained to 4.4v in a week

Post by Samanthington »

Earth is super clean, by the way. I haven’t disconnected it, cleaned, rescratched etc, but it looks almost like it just rolled out the dealers!
WBX Panel - 1988 1.9DG *2022 E D I T…sparkly new engine from a The VW Engine Co!*

cobblers
80-90 Mem No: 17450

Post by cobblers »

It's incredibly unlikely to be the starter motor causing a parasitic power draw.

Is there any kind of alarm or immobiliser fitted to the van, or evidence of one being previously fitted?

For the battery to be so flat so quickly, You have a fairly significant power draw.

Get the battery thoroughly charged up one way or another - ideally leave it on a trickle charge for a few days to rebalance and try and minimize the damage that has already been caused by it being so very heavily discharged.

Doing the fuse test is your next plan of action, there aren't really any "common culprits" on these vans, other than the interior lights being left on or something!

Samanthington

Post by Samanthington »

Thanks Cobblers, got another battery on charge so I can connect jump leads and get trickle charging the new one. So very gutted :(

Nothing has been fitted alarm or immobiliser wise, it was pretty much untouched when I bought it, just aged!

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Possibly a diode problem in the alternator. Disconnect the wiring to the alternator overnight to see if it still drains.

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Samanthington

Post by Samanthington »

Thanks ajsimmo, will try that once I can get the battery back in 👍

Samanthington

Post by Samanthington »

Update….it was a dodgy connection in the cab door light.

Thank heavens nothing too bad!

Thanks for the advice chaps ☺️