3 point seat belt for a buddy seat

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Capples
80-90 Mem No: 14668

3 point seat belt for a buddy seat

Post by Capples »

Hello there

I am a newbie to campervans and am the happy owner of a Wetfalia high top. I have 3 small children so have had two 3 point belts fitted onto the rear set but my buddy only has a lap belt. I contacted Brickwerks who totally confused me by saying they had never seen a seatbelt you can but for a buddy seat "off the shelf". Confused.......since it is rear facing could I not just buy a seat belt kit for the front passenger seat - ie belt going over left shoulder and mount that?? Any advice would be amazing please!!
Thanks
Claire

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: 3 point seat belt for a buddy seat

Post by silverbullet »

From what I know the buddy seat box isnt meant for seated transport because its only a plywood box and has no backrest.
"Wetfalia" is a new one on me :lol:

Capples

Post by Capples »

Thank you for such a speedy response! My buddy is a proper seat with a backrest and bolted to the floor. Maybe this is where the guy from Brickwerks is confused as I didn't realise there were "box buddy seats" around :run

Capples

Post by Capples »

Just realised my spelling error on Westfalia!! Cheers for that :ok

justchillincampers
80-90 Mem No: 12826

Post by justchillincampers »

Did you ever get a reply to this? I to have a Westfalia and one too many children. Was looking for a solution to retro fit a "proper" buddy seat for a 3rd child. Is yours already bolted to floor / chasis and to rear of passenger seat? Am curioius.
More questions than answers but sure this must be a fairly common problem.
1989 Westfalia California pop top 2.1 petrol

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

The removable buddy seat found on later multivans is a good option, i have some with seat belts for sale.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

kervinmervin
80-90 Mem No: 6644

Post by kervinmervin »

Here's one that we fitted http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=3443" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, I'd be surprised if the seat belt(retractable part fits to front seat belt lower anchor) can't be found in the UK. The seat is a fold up/removable multivan seat. When our middle child moves from their lap belt anchored car seat, I'll need to sort another 3 pointer through the westy cupboard somehow.

Hope that helps.

K
1984 Westfalia 1.9dg

Fozziebear
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Fozziebear »

So can you fit the jump seat to any westfalia? How does it fit to the floor?

kervinmervin
80-90 Mem No: 6644

Post by kervinmervin »

It should have locating plugs (shaped like a top hat) welded to the floor. The thickness of the plywood in mine meant that I bolted and bonded a metal strip into the plywood as it was too high. The bottom holes just locate, the bracket behind the seat locks it in place.

K
1984 Westfalia 1.9dg

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Most of the brackets to weld in to floor and also brackets with nuts on are still available,strong and not expensive. Only floor plate sold out but easily made up. These seats fit both sides but the main locking bracket is made for left or right fitment. I have seats with original seat belts for sale.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Basilakios

Post by Basilakios »

Hi,

I'm hoping to install a multivan jump seat into my camper in the coming weeks along with a 3-point seat belt.  Has anyone managed to source a company that sells the Go Westy seat belt specifically for this seat (https://www.gowesty.com/product/made-in ... eat-lh-rh-) in the UK?  

I notice the Go Westy belt doesn't include the female receiver.  Presumably the standard female receivers for the front seats would work best?

If anyone has undertaken this job before your advice would be appreciated.

Also, while fittings this seat belt looks fairly simple, I think my wife would prefer it was done by a professional for reassurance.  Anyone recommend of any companies who operate in the North West who do seat belt fittings on T25s?

Thanks.

AIR_CHILLED
80-90 Mem No: 15708

Post by AIR_CHILLED »

Basilakios wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 17:24 Hi,

I'm hoping to install a multivan jump seat into my camper in the coming weeks along with a 3-point seat belt. Has anyone managed to source a company that sells the Go Westy seat belt specifically for this seat (https://www.gowesty.com/product/made-in ... eat-lh-rh-) in the UK?

I notice the Go Westy belt doesn't include the female receiver. Presumably the standard female receivers for the front seats would work best?

Also, while fittings this seat belt looks fairly simple, I think my wife would prefer it was done by a professional for reassurance. Anyone recommend of any companies who operate in the North West who do seat belt fittings on T25s?

Thanks.
The seatbelts typical to aftermarket kits are made by Securon and can be easily sourced via eBay in various configurations.
You can select different reciever stalk and seatbelt lengths.
If you have a Westfalia then the body shell will already have most additional factory anchor points welded in. One can be found on the B pillar underneath a plastic screwed in cover. the lower receiver anchor point is on the seat box / battery box
Instead of using the bracket that the Gowesty kit uses I welded an additional seatbelt anchor plate in. The cheapest place I found these was Brickwerks. I hope this helps, Mike.
1988 Vanagon GL Westfalia Syncro (2wd to 4wd conversion)
1992 Golf II Syncro Country 

Basilakios

Post by Basilakios »

AIR_CHILLED wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 15:52
Basilakios wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 17:24 Hi,

I'm hoping to install a multivan jump seat into my camper in the coming weeks along with a 3-point seat belt. Has anyone managed to source a company that sells the Go Westy seat belt specifically for this seat (https://www.gowesty.com/product/made-in ... eat-lh-rh-) in the UK?

I notice the Go Westy belt doesn't include the female receiver. Presumably the standard female receivers for the front seats would work best?

Also, while fittings this seat belt looks fairly simple, I think my wife would prefer it was done by a professional for reassurance. Anyone recommend of any companies who operate in the North West who do seat belt fittings on T25s?

Thanks.
The seatbelts typical to aftermarket kits are made by Securon and can be easily sourced via eBay in various configurations.
You can select different reciever stalk and seatbelt lengths.
If you have a Westfalia then the body shell will already have most additional factory anchor points welded in. One can be found on the B pillar underneath a plastic screwed in cover. the lower receiver anchor point is on the seat box / battery box
Instead of using the bracket that the Gowesty kit uses I welded an additional seatbelt anchor plate in. The cheapest place I found these was Brickwerks. I hope this helps, Mike.
Thanks Mike.

I wanted to avoid any welding in when it came to the anchor points so just went for the Go Westy kit.  It was very straightforward and only took about 10 minutes to fix so pretty pleased. 

My only frustration was buying a receiver (the kit doesn't come with a receiver) forgetting I already had one that came with the seat!  Nevermind.