AAZ installation general advice

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Stuart57
80-90 Mem No: 0

AAZ installation general advice

Post by Stuart57 »

Hi, I have an 86 T25 that had a seized 1.6 JX engine, I have taken it out (kept everything for now) I now have a nice aaz engine to go in. So far I have fitted a new oil pump with the correct pick and fitted the jx sump, fitted the jx engine mounts, i am unsure what is need to be done, if anything, to the aaz turbo and the original exhaust?. Any advice on this, plus anything else you think I may need to know or do would be very much appreciated as there doesn't seem to be much info online or on good old YouTube.
Thanks. 👍🤞

vandad
80-90 Mem No: 8081

Re: AAZ installation general advice

Post by vandad »

Hi Stuart, Brickwerks have most of the parts and used to have instructions. They sell this spacer for the turbo. https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/turbo-spac ... o-aaz.html
I used the Jx exhaust manifold, turbo etc when I fitted an AAZ. Anyone who knows about gas flow in exhausts would cry at the mismatches in the joint faces when you fi that, but the engines only make 70 horsepower so I don't think gas flow us that critical.
1989 Magnum(?) Multivan LHD German Import was JX, now AAZ

vandad
80-90 Mem No: 8081

Post by vandad »

Also "The AAZ has a weakness.
The crank pulley bolt comes loose. This holds the timing gear and bottom pulley onto the crankshaft and they have a habit of coming undone.

They are supposed to be torqued up to 140ftlbs or something like (can't remember off the top of my head) but aren't always done up that tight.

Have a damn good look in this area. If the pulley is wobbling about, its had this problem. If it comes loose, it will shear the key, write off the crank and all the valves will hit the pistons. End of engine!!
" I second this comment. That bolt is very difficult to torque properly.
1989 Magnum(?) Multivan LHD German Import was JX, now AAZ

Timburrows
80-90 Mem No: 14187

Post by Timburrows »

Crank bolt to timing pulley is 90 nm or 65 ftlbs plus 90 degrees I think,VW tools are 1 meter long to do it properly