headlights flickering with no ignition

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jimthejock0301
80-90 Mem No: 0

headlights flickering with no ignition

Post by Jimthejock0301 »

My T25 headlights are flickering on and off with no ignition also in dash cluster blue headlight led showing i have tried to disconnect main headlight switch is still makes no difference also on headlight stock switch disconnected still same resulting in flat battery 
any ideas to try thanks 
James 

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Re: headlights flickering with no ignition

Post by Robsey »

Have you checked the blue flasher-stalk wires,
and contacts in the switch.

Wires -
The wires pass very close to the upper collumn mounting bracket, so I wounder if some rubbing away or damage to the insulation may have occurred - but thinking in my head, that would probably blow a fuse.

Stalk switch -
It may well be that the contacts inside the flasher stalk are either weak and hovering close and arcing.
This is my preferred train of thought.

Unplug the two pin stalk connector to check.

Failing that - have you added a headlight upgrade using relays... the relay may be sticking on.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Sounds like an earth fault feeding through the dash pod perhaps, try unplugging the dash or wiggle the plug , check all the earth connections by the fuse box

irishkeet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Post by irishkeet »

I had the same issue turned out to be the Voltage Regulator on the alternator, replaced and all good...

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/voltage-regulator-alternator-general-use-14-5v.html
------------------------
1985 Doka 1.9 DG 4 Speed Box
---
1986 Fakefalia Syncro Subaru EJ25

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Check the spade connectors at the crown earths (next to the fuse box), they heat up and fall apart. This is where the headlights are earthed and could be causing the intermittent flickering.

The blue main beam warning light is fed from one of the headlight main beam circuits. If the bulb is illuminated with headlights off it may be a problem with the dash - it must be getting voltage from another source which will also try to illuminate the main beam bulb and may explain the flat battery problem.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior