Fitting door seals.

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Piratepete
80-90 Mem No: 17272

Fitting door seals.

Post by Piratepete »

Hi Guys
Just got around to fitting new main seals on the tailgate and front doors. QQ

1. The tailgate seal is split and comes with a joiner which is hard rubber and unlikely to compress much. Where do you position it?
(The old seal has a tubular rubber joiner (much more compressable) (can't reuse) and was located on the left side.)

2. The front door seal is continuous but fitting it means removing the door handles and panel to get it past the speaker cable.
I'm inclined to avoid the faff and cut the new seal.

Is this a bad idea? If not, where would you position the join? Guess I would need to have a joiner?

Cheers!
Pete

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Fitting door seals.

Post by maxstu »

The rear seal on my camper joins at the bottom by the latch. Stiff joiner has gasket sealant each end.

On each front door there is also the pin arm to consider. So from outside the hinge bolts are in the way. From inside speaker wires and pin arm.

I would suggest cutting wires and removing pin arm to keep seal one piece.

Have you seal T clips too?
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

irishkeet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Post by irishkeet »

Piratepete wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 16:14 Hi Guys
Just got around to fitting new main seals on the tailgate and front doors. QQ

1. The tailgate seal is split and comes with a joiner which is hard rubber and unlikely to compress much. Where do you position it?
(The old seal has a tubular rubber joiner (much more compressable) (can't reuse) and was located on the left side.)

2. The front door seal is continuous but fitting it means removing the door handles and panel to get it past the speaker cable.
I'm inclined to avoid the faff and cut the new seal.

Is this a bad idea? If not, where would you position the join? Guess I would need to have a joiner?

Cheers!
Pete

photos got lost in the photobucket mists of time....

https://club8090.co.uk/wiki/Bodywork_and_Glass_Guide_to_fitting_Cab_Door_seals
------------------------
1985 Doka 1.9 DG 4 Speed Box
---
1986 Fakefalia Syncro Subaru EJ25

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Post by Jonnyb416 »

I’ve just done these 2 jobs. Stupidly bought cab door seals from JK and they are just too big. No chances the doors are closing. I removed the clevis pin from the check strap and having speakers fitted next week so no wire to worry about. The boot seal was a ball ache. I’ll get pictures that Brickwerks sent me as it was giving me a headache working it out, the last boot seal I used was a simple push in the channel type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Parts in the red outline go inside the channel

1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

Piratepete

Post by Piratepete »

maxstu wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 19:40
Have you seal T clips too?
Are these really necesary? The old seals had no clips.

Piratepete

Post by Piratepete »

Jonnyb416 wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 20:41 I’ve just done these 2 jobs. Stupidly bought cab door seals from JK and they are just too big. No chances the doors are closing. I removed the clevis pin from the check strap and having speakers fitted next week so no wire to worry about. The boot seal was a ball ache. I’ll get pictures that Brickwerks sent me as it was giving me a headache working it out, the last boot seal I used was a simple push in the channel type.
Mine is the same crossection. How does that big joiner in the picture compress?

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Piratepete wrote:
Jonnyb416 wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 20:41 I’ve just done these 2 jobs. Stupidly bought cab door seals from JK and they are just too big. No chances the doors are closing. I removed the clevis pin from the check strap and having speakers fitted next week so no wire to worry about. The boot seal was a ball ache. I’ll get pictures that Brickwerks sent me as it was giving me a headache working it out, the last boot seal I used was a simple push in the channel type.
Mine is the same crossection. How does that big joiner in the picture compress?

Just squashes in the groove. It was tight in places, I used a blunt large flat headed screwdriver to gently push it in, then carefully hammer the metal ‘u’ section metal lined part over the rim. If that makes sense?

Just make sure you get it the right way round. Oh and sort of loosely pre-bend the metal as you get to the corners. Both top corners were particularly hard work.

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

I ended up using second hand cab seals. New one was just too bulky!

Piratepete

Post by Piratepete »

Hi Jonnyb

Tailgate. My issue is with the joiner. The seal tube has to compress when you close the tailgate. I don't see how it will compress with that solid looking joiner, which is what has been supplied to me.

Front Doors. A couple of the posts have mentioned T clips. The old seals were not secured with clips, just glue. Did you have clips? I guess they fit around the bottom. Are they really needed cos it's a p in the a if I've got to order some!

Pete

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Piratepete wrote:Hi Jonnyb

Tailgate. My issue is with the joiner. The seal tube has to compress when you close the tailgate. I don't see how it will compress with that solid looking joiner, which is what has been supplied to me.

Won’t know until you try. My boot now only closes on the first latch. Hoping over time the seal compresses a little.

Front Doors. A couple of the posts have mentioned T clips. The old seals were not secured with clips, just glue. Did you have clips? I guess they fit around the bottom. Are they really needed cos it's a p in the a if I've got to order some!

I’ve never used a clip for the cab door seals. The only part that needs glueing is where it runs down the door near the A pillar. A clip, I presume, will make this easier and I wish I’d know about them beforehand, but glue will suffice.

Hope that helps.
Pete

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

If you carefully view a quality door seal before fitting you will note it has a number of small holes. It is also apparent when you whip off the old seals.
Originally I thought these holes were to allow air out as the seal compresses on closing door. But some are for T clips and correspond with small holes in the door. Especially along the front of the door where it shuts against the A pillar.

MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Piratepete

Post by Piratepete »

Jonnyb416 wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 08:15

My boot now only closes on the first latch. Hoping over time the seal compresses a little.

I've now fitted this seal but with a soft tubular joiner. Tailgate closes nicely on both latches. Suggest you experiment removing the hard joiner on yours.

Front Doors. I've decided to get the T clips. There are in fact 4 required, 3 along the front of the door and one along the back edge.

Thanks for your advice.
Pete

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Piratepete wrote:
Jonnyb416 wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 08:15

My boot now only closes on the first latch. Hoping over time the seal compresses a little.

I've now fitted this seal but with a soft tubular joiner. Tailgate closes nicely on both latches. Suggest you experiment removing the hard joiner on yours.

Front Doors. I've decided to get the T clips. There are in fact 4 required, 3 along the front of the door and one along the back edge.

Thanks for your advice.
Pete

Glad you’re nearly sorted. Perhaps post something/pictures when you fit the clips. Could help others.

I tried removing the connecting stub as I thought that could well work. But it didn’t 🥲 Cheers anyway, good idea.

Cheers, Jon.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Cab door seals are best fitted and then left for months to compress. They do improve greatly with time. Tailgate much the same, I now need to adjust the latch to get the door flush.