Can you check my wiring?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Negativegravity
80-90 Mem No: 10992

Can you check my wiring?

Post by Negativegravity »

Morning all, just wondered if someone could look over my wiring for a new leisure setup. Specifically, the location of the earth when using the victron controller

Thanks

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Re: Can you check my wiring?

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

Assuming this is a 12v system? Shouldn’t those two solar panels be wired in parallel (rather than series) into the charge controller; also it was my understanding that all of the ‘loads’ should be either run through the charge controller or be controlled by the charge controller;
What is the Victron device in the top right?
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Your diagram looks fine , i cant see any issue , provided your combined panel voltage is within the charge controllers parameters .
The Negs (earths )all look ok to me, the battery monitor is wired so the shunt only breaks the negative, so reads all in and out charge and discharge .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Just gonna ask a question here with split charging

So it's OK to run a VSR / Split charge relay straight from the alternator rather than from the starter battery? I guess it makes no differnce as the relay only kicks in when the alternator charge goes over the trigger voltage.
However when parked with the solar charging the leisure battery once it reaches the set voltage it switches the relay on I assume it's fine to leave it like that and not put an isolation switch in to cut off the leisure system from sending power back through to the alternator?
The MPPT controller is only set up for measuing the leisure battery settings for charging and as the leisure battery is bigger than the starter that's not gonna bork the starter battery would it?

Looking at Negativegravitys diagram he has a switch from the vsr to the bus. Should I fit a switch so when I'm parked I can cut the power line from the alternator so even if the VSR kicks in it wont be sending power to the starter battery? Maybe I could set up some relay that switches on from ignition switching on?
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

VSR and solar is NOT a good idea at all unless you want to join the main battery and leisure battery together when its day light
Which means the main battery will be sharing the powering of whatever you are using , and more importantly , whichever battery is the lower capacity Will be your limit , the batteries will equalise without separation .
Get a dual battery solar controller if you want to charge both from the solar system and a decent 100a alternator triggered split charge relay is my advise .
However once you turn the engine off , nothing should be taken from the main battery anyway , so why would it need charging ?
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

The intention of the solar is just to charge the leisure battery not the main, the split charge relay is there for charging both batteries when driving. My mppt controller is for one battery. So without hijacking ops thread anymore ;) ill just add a switch for when I'm parked up i can isolate the split charge system so it doesn't link the starter battery. :ok
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Negativegravity
80-90 Mem No: 10992

Post by Negativegravity »

Thanks guys. Much appreciated

tlg

Post by tlg »

I wondered if anyone might be able to offer advice on my plans too - attempting to reuse some of the existing loom (i.e., the 6mm from the starter to the aux battery. 

cobblers
80-90 Mem No: 17450

Post by cobblers »

VSR and Solar is fine, I've run them for years like that, even with massively mismatched battery bank sizes (my main camper has 8x110AH leisure batteries for example!). It'll only connect the two banks when your leisure battery is fairly well charged, and ordinarily your starter battery should be kept pretty well topped up anyway so it won't take much of your charge current, irrespective of its capacity.
If it isn't fully charged, then surely it'd benefit from some of the suns lovely power! 

If your solar panel is a tiny 25W one then maybe I'd think twice, but for any reasonable solar panel size it's fine.

Victron Cyrix relays are great and smart enough to make the best use of the charge power without cycling on and off more often than needed.

IMO there's no need or advantage to running a DC-DC charger in 85% of the situations people run them, and certainly not on something like a T25 with a simple 14.xV dumb alternator and lead acid batteries. A 30A DC-DC would cost more money and charge your leisure battery about half as fast as it would with a VSR