Engine silently cuts out - entirely intermittent

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

alice the camper
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Engine silently cuts out - entirely intermittent

Post by alice the camper »

It's me. It's 2021 and I've had this van for 11 years now and she's running strong.

An electric fuel pump saved her.

I replaced so many things, 2 pumps, push rod, ECU, fuel tank (DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS DEFINITELY NECESSARY as apparently it's impossible to ever get a seal again on the filler pipe entry to the tank, which means there's no feedback pressure to turn off the petrol pump at the garage, so I will forever more have to guess how much I can refuel before it overflows over the forecourt and, if enough fuel is spilt, the fire brigade are called - BEWARE) other bits and pieces. Would have saved a bunch of money and STRESS if I'd gone straight for an electric pump.

A belated thank you to everyone who tried to help and I hope this inspires someone else not to give up. I love my van. Even though, when I told my partner he could use it as a hearse for me when I die, HE suggested it could be buried/burned with me 😖🤣

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

alice the camper wrote: 21 May 2021, 18:46 It's me. It's 2021 and I've had this van for 11 years now and she's running strong.

An electric fuel pump saved her.

I replaced so many things, 2 pumps, push rod, ECU, fuel tank (DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS DEFINITELY NECESSARY as apparently it's impossible to ever get a seal again on the filler pipe entry to the tank, which means there's no feedback pressure to turn off the petrol pump at the garage, so I will forever more have to guess how much I can refuel before it overflows over the forecourt and, if enough fuel is spilt, the fire brigade are called - BEWARE) other bits and pieces. Would have saved a bunch of money and STRESS if I'd gone straight for an electric pump.

A belated thank you to everyone who tried to help and I hope this inspires someone else not to give up. I love my van. Even though, when I told my partner he could use it as a hearse for me when I die, HE suggested it could be buried/burned with me 😖🤣

You mean these seals? 
https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/ ... -70mm.html
https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/ ... -seal.html

Plenty of places still do them, might be a delay due to the ol covid, or am I missing something?

As for the cut out, maybe electrical.. could be the ignition amp on its way out.

Last edited by Stesaw on 21 May 2021, 18:55, edited 2 times in total.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Must admit did not realise that these vehicles had that they had feedback pressure (often wondered how that works) I normally put about 20 or 40 quid in mine depending on the journey and never fully fill up, just have to plan journey and know where the stations are.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

alice the camper
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by alice the camper »

Just saw these replies🤣

I'll look into the seals. It would be great to get it fixed after 6? years a second guessing how much I can put in - especially when prices keep changing! Must count the litres instead of the £s!

Yes, there is a feedback on the petrol level. It worked before the tank was changed and it worked on my previous van too so not a special thing.

cobblers
80-90 Mem No: 17450

Post by cobblers »

alice the camper wrote: 21 May 2021, 18:46 fuel tank (DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS DEFINITELY NECESSARY as apparently it's impossible to ever get a seal again on the filler pipe entry to the tank, which means there's no feedback pressure to turn off the petrol pump at the garage, so I will forever more have to guess how much I can refuel before it overflows over the forecourt and, if enough fuel is spilt, the fire brigade are called - BEWARE) 

I'm not sure who told you this, I've changed the tank on 5 or 6 vans and never had this issue

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

cobblers wrote:
alice the camper wrote: 21 May 2021, 18:46 fuel tank (DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS DEFINITELY NECESSARY as apparently it's impossible to ever get a seal again on the filler pipe entry to the tank, which means there's no feedback pressure to turn off the petrol pump at the garage, so I will forever more have to guess how much I can refuel before it overflows over the forecourt and, if enough fuel is spilt, the fire brigade are called - BEWARE) 

I'm not sure who told you this, I've changed the tank on 5 or 6 vans and never had this issue
I agree, cobblers.

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

I concur, its cobblers.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"