Awful idle... help very much needed

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MoritzTheDoka
80-90 Mem No: 0

Awful idle... help very much needed

Post by MoritzTheDoka »

This is my last post, it's the biggie which I've been holding off posting whilst trying to find the answers first.

There are answers, almost too many, and I don't know where to start so if someone can help me it would be very much appreciated...

Ok, problem: van starts, as it warms up it seems to run nicely, Choke seems to be doing its work and the van runs great, but after its warmed up, maybe 10 mins, it won't idle well at all and often cuts out at junctions, roundabouts, etc etc.

I can keep it running by feathering the gas and keeping the revs up, but this obviously isn't a solution and I'd like to be able to rely on it.

Symptoms: erm, the idle is really rough, and seems to come in "waves" if that makes sense? it is worse when coming off the gas - when pulling forward, then braking it nearly always cuts out - but it cuts out when gently easing off and coasting too. When it does cut out, it always restarts.

Things that I've done: vac hoses replaced as they were cracked and frayed. It got better after they were done, but it's slowly creeping back. Carb Cone filter cleaned.

Things that definitely need doing: fuel lines and filter. I know these need doing, I have them on my desk and they're getting done on my next day off, and they're is currently no filter on the feed line on the van.

That's about it.

Like I said above, I've read and re-read tonnes of posts, and some make sense and some don't. If you can tell me where the thing is and what it looks like that I need to "turn in by 1/2 a turn" or other such guidance I will be eternally grateful
1983 doka
1.9DG 4 speed

MoritzTheDoka
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Awful idle... help very much needed

Post by MoritzTheDoka »

As a follow up, I've found that when I turn this (circled in red):

Anti-clockwise by 1.5 turns I get a steady idle? Is the answer that simple? It surely can't be
1983 doka
1.9DG 4 speed

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Well, that is the idle adjustment screw, l believe. Do you have a manual to hand?
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

This may help. Get your carb serviced.

MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Replace the filter and fuel lines as your priority job.
Once that's done give the carb a check and clean. 

1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project