Cruise control instalation and alternative parts.

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Rascal
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Cruise control instalation and alternative parts.

Post by Rascal »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274630670906

Could be usefull is it the same stalk?

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Been watching for a fews days' now. I think stalk is correct. But have many parts now. Yet wiring loom would be handy. Are you interested in any parts, Russ?
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Rascal

Post by Rascal »

I had considered it but when you read description and compare pins to t25 stalk.. (excluding cruise plug), its missing Aprox 7 Pins on the stalk.. So I guess some functions won't work and considering only loom and stalk are not easily available your paying £300 for a stalk that isn't 100% compatible and a loom that still needs to be modded as brake switches are didferent. I'd rather just make my own loom... If it was all correct and bolt on and plug straight in yes.. But I wouldn't waste your money on it.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

My same thoughts.
A couple of days ago l joined The Samba Club and placed a wanted notice for CC parts. Got a scammer immediately offering a complete system for $130 posted to UK. He sent loads of photos. I asked for one with his face or current newspaper. No answer. And aside from being bombarded with Whatsapps messages (now blocked), he wanted friends and family PayPal payment only. I said lets talk more on the phone. His African accent was just like Nelson Mandela! In Colorado? No way! Bye bye.
Only genuine (believeable) responder had a CC actuator clamp for sale for $24. But mailing cost another $30. Will try fabricating my own.
So lm down to wiring loom now. Have tried understand the diagram with help from Haynes and Bentley. But not entering a state of comprehension yet.
So will be pestering wiring guru's for help.
By the way. I saw a similar VSS to your one with just two terminals being offered on eBay. Claims its a CC VSS for mid 80's Scirocco.
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Still in the game...

Got this bit from the US today. £35 delivered. That is a bargain in my eyes. And saves me fabricating an awkward bracket.
Same actuator bulb as Jag or perhaps Range Rover.

MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

After feeling the wrath of Mr Stesaw, l picked up my very limited tools and headed to the shed for a bit of fabricating.

I had already cut and spray painted the bracket, and test fitted above brake pedal. Will need to add a small tab on top of pedal lever though. Standard set up l believe.

Bit of tapping, hacksawing and filing resulted in this.....
Will replace bolts with sturdier types later

The vacuum thread is a strange pitch. M12 X 1.50 I think. So l ran a M12 X1.75 die and recut the plastic thread to match nuts l already had. It did no harm. A bit weak quarter way up. But the nuts hold firmly.

Two M12 1.75 slimmed down in my man size 4" vice. :lol:

Bit of filing and a clean up with tap.

A small victory with my limited engineering skills.
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

So, after finding the Subaru On/Off switch is naff, then testing the Subaru CC cruise stalk and noting the RESUME part not working l decided to stay closer to VW parts.

And to my newly delivered parts.....

Not a T25 stalk but Jetta CE1 I believe. All functions tested and working. Plus extra pins already fitted for using in a T25. Not discussing price... :shock:
Actuator bar from Latvia £20 delivered.
Getting nearer. But house move comes first. Then in warmer weather will start fitting up.
A nice compliment to Auto, PAS, ABS features, me thinks.
MaxStu

4x4 Bus

Post by 4x4 Bus »

I have quite a few cruise parts if anyone is interestead. Controllers, vac units etc But no stalks.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

4x4 Bus wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 08:40 I have quite a few cruise parts if anyone is interestead. Controllers, vac units etc But no stalks.

Do you have T25 controllers? Or are theyGolf, Jetta, etc? Im going to use a Mk2 Golf controller. Have read on The Samba it will work. Not certain about nineth pin....

MaxStu

4x4 Bus

Post by 4x4 Bus »

This is what I have. 2 x complete front looms and ecu's ( 5GA 004 872-01) 2x vac switches and pipes, front to back vac pipe, 3 engine bay controllers, 2 engine bay vac units. £200 + post for it all. Image

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

That's a fair bundle you have there. But all I need is a wiring loom now. So if you are willing to split and sell parts such as the 8 pin connector loom PM me.

Regards
Stuart 
MaxStu

Rascal

Post by Rascal »

maxstu wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 23:42 That's a fair bundle you have there. But all I need is a wiring loom now. So if you are willing to split and sell parts such as the 8 pin connector loom PM me.

Regards
Stuart 

Maxtu wanna go 50/50 on this loom each?

Rascal

Post by Rascal »

so been an interesting day. I have  finally worked out what the relay is for.....  its for the RADIO !!! turns out that the Gamma model radio that was original fitted to the van (which i am more and more  believing is a BLUESTAR) had a speed sensing volume control...
taken from t3-info.de
[font][font]GALA connection[/font][/font]

[font][font]GALA is a speed-dependent volume control for the car radio. [/font][font]The VW Gamma, for example, has this function. [/font][font]The radio receives a speed signal from a sensor in the speedometer, the frequency of the signal is controlled by the speed of the speedometer cable. [/font][font]With the Syncros the sensor is connected directly to the radio, with the 2WD a frequency doubler has to be switched in between (standard with the LLE and XX-Stars).[/font][/font]

[font][font]The frequency doubler is no longer available from VW, but corresponding modules for frequency adjustment are available from[/font][/font][font][font] www.speedpuls.de.ki[/font][/font][font][font] . [/font][font]With some T3 models, for example the LLE and XX-Stars, connections for the speed-dependent volume control are available as standard.[/font][/font]

didn't see that coming.....

also received my delivery from 4x4 bus  i have a question as to where the  ecu mounts as  cant find a picture in its correct position and bentley just says.. its behind dash

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

No doubt for LHD (not found any onfo for CC on RHD drive models), so you are looking for pre drilled holes to left of driving seat under centre dash. The ECU sits on a plate too.
All all Yank imports from 1986 onwards come with prefitted wiring looms as you likely already know. I checked all through my camper. There is no CC wiring inside any area.
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

This is poor photo of mounting plate. Did you get one from from 4x4?
Probably not necessary if you didnt. Ive read some people just mount to bulkhead using plastic reg plate nuts and bolts to reduce vibration

MaxStu