Fuel pump issue?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

asterix_the_gaul
80-90 Mem No: 16935

Fuel pump issue?

Post by asterix_the_gaul »

2.0 CU engine, it didn't want to start the other week after being sat for a few months, tried the obvious first and chucked 2 cans of fuel in which started it right up. Filled another 15L,Drove it a bit 20 odd miles then a gap of 2 weeks and another 15 or 20 miles then wouldn't start again without more emergency fuel again.
Topped it off to work out how much was 'not enough' and it seems it was failing to start with about 15 to 20L in the tank which seems wierd as I thought it would be nearly empty.
Does this mean the fuel pump has had it?
Where is the fuel pump exactly?
It's a relatively new fuel tank so it's not leaking I don't think but it did when I topped it off which happens every time you top it off which will need fixing too I guess
Autohomes CI Kamper 2.0 CU air-cooled

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Fuel pump issue?

Post by Mocki »

The fuel pump is under the engine , just at side of gearbox on o/s .
check the rubber pipes are not perished, sucking air in , but not necessarily leaking fuel out will stop the pump sucking well. 
the original pump is a diaphragm pump, so could well have perished internally .

someone with more air cooled experience will no doubt be along soon .......
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Rosie n' Jim
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Rosie n' Jim »

Do you know if it's the original mechanical pump located on the front offside of the engine? Many have have electrical pumps fitted, and some types aren't good at drawing fuel upwards. If it's not used regularly, it's a good upgrade as the carbs can be filled before cranking the engine.
1982 Holdsworth poptop. 2L CU Aircooled.
1982 Danbury tintop Caravelle. 2L CU Aircooled.

asterix_the_gaul
80-90 Mem No: 16935

Post by asterix_the_gaul »

No, I don't know, I'll have to get the Haynes manual out and crawl under and try to identify what's what. It's going in for major work in a few weeks so I'll tack this onto the jobsheet when I work out what it needs; is there a specific fuel line it needs there's a few available on brickworks..
Autohomes CI Kamper 2.0 CU air-cooled