Camshaft on a 2.1DJ From Heritage Parts

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

josephcarey1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Camshaft on a 2.1DJ From Heritage Parts

Post by josephcarey1 »

Hi guys,

Has anyone tried to use with success a new camshaft for the 2.1DJ from heritage parts at all?
I bought one a month ago, had to get a replacement originally because the first one they sent me was damaged. It was rusty and scratched up.
I got the second one and thought this would be the end to my problems.
Sadly after putting it in today to test it. The first connecting rod’s end cap on the crank closes to the timing gear ended up hitting the first part of the cam shaft where the first thrust bearing is. Needless to say I was not happy, so thought I’d out the old worn crank in just to check and that was fine!
On close inspection I can see that the part that the big end cap is hitting is actually more narrow on the original VW camshaft and thicker on the new one!

Has anyone else experienced this with their cam shafts at all?
The reason I chose this item was because of how simple it was supposed to be. No need for different oil pumps, etc. Wish I had made a different decision now.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Re: Camshaft on a 2.1DJ From Heritage Parts

Post by ajsimmo »

The Heritage cams are ground on the same Chinese blanks that the DG WBX and the type 1 (Beetle) cams are. The quality is mediocre at best, but it's all there is available. The gear is massively undersized (about a -6 or smaller) so it is a universal fit-all and will probably rattle like an air-cooled. The cam timing isn't quite right on the samples I've checked.
Alternatively I have some brand new 2.1 hydro cams arriving soon, ground by Newman's to Ian Holman spec, a subtly improved spec with just a little more lift & duration to give more low to mid range torque. They are 3 bolt, & can either be fitted with the standard 3 bolt gear (webcam HQ), or your own original gear of your old cam bolted on using a converter plate, and dialled in. Must be used with a 3 bolt pre-71 oil pump, which I can also supply. Cam price including the gear, dialled in and ready to fit, will be similar to Heritage price. PM or email if you are interested.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

That reminds me! 
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

josephcarey1

Post by josephcarey1 »

ajsimmo wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 22:07 The Heritage cams are ground on the same Chinese blanks that the DG WBX and the type 1 (Beetle) cams are. The quality is mediocre at best, but it's all there is available. The gear is massively undersized (about a -6 or smaller) so it is a universal fit-all and will probably rattle like an air-cooled. The cam timing isn't quite right on the samples I've checked.
Alternatively I have some brand new 2.1 hydro cams arriving soon, ground by Newman's to Ian Holman spec, a subtly improved spec with just a little more lift & duration to give more low to mid range torque. They are 3 bolt, & can either be fitted with the standard 3 bolt gear (webcam HQ), or your own original gear of your old cam bolted on using a converter plate, and dialled in. Must be used with a 3 bolt pre-71 oil pump, which I can also supply. Cam price including the gear, dialled in and ready to fit, will be similar to Heritage price. PM or email if you are interested.

Hello mate, you good?
It’s sad to hear that these are not very good quality.
Sounds like my old worn cam would probably be better.
I’ve emailed them and said I have £258’s worth of cam that is useless; come and take it back.

What’s the lead tine on the cams you have then? I was hoping to have this engine finisher already and it’s been problem after problem!
I’m well over into £1500 or more spent on heads, pistons, barrels, replacement DJ case, you name it, I’ve bought it.
If I’ve spent so much already then it makes sense to not use some poor quality cam.

josephcarey1

Post by josephcarey1 »

Anyone used The Engine Shop at al in Kent?
The guy there does new cams, but said he didn’t have any yet when I talker to him a couple of weeks before Christmas.
I am sure he said he does a 3 bolt flat faced cam, the gear, bolts and oil pump with I think 26mm gears.

Anyone know about these at all?
I have bought bits from THS before such as a standard size main bearing set for my new cam that I was unable to get anywhere else.

ajsimmo
Trader

Post by ajsimmo »

josephcarey1 wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 23:32 I’ve emailed them and said I have £258’s worth of cam that is useless; come and take it back.

What’s the lead tine on the cams you have then? I was hoping to have this engine finisher already and it’s been problem after problem!
I’m well over into £1500 or more spent on heads, pistons, barrels, replacement DJ case, you name it, I’ve bought it.
If I’ve spent so much already then it makes sense to not use some poor quality cam.

Yep, the total parts spend to do a full refurb is usually well over £2k, even with my trade discounts! (Sorry if I sound like a broken record - I have been known to mention this in the past :D)
The cams have been promised for a few weeks now, but the big B got in the way as Newmans had EU export orders to get out before Doris shut the shop. Meanwhile I've been asked to wait, presumably in the sunlit uplands. I'm assured they'll be done this week.

josephcarey1

Post by josephcarey1 »

ajsimmo wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 10:25
josephcarey1 wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 23:32 I’ve emailed them and said I have £258’s worth of cam that is useless; come and take it back.

Yep, the total parts spend to do a full refurb is usually well over £2k, even with my trade discounts! (Sorry if I sound like a broken record - I have been known to mention this in the past :D)
The cams have been promised for a few weeks now, but the big B got in the way as Newmans had EU export orders to get out before Doris shut the shop. Meanwhile I've been asked to wait, presumably in the sunlit uplands. I'm assured they'll be done this week.

Morning ajsimmo, I hope you're good fella.

I have this anger that it would have probably been somewhat easier, somewhat more difficult in some areas and cheaper (hindsight is a wonderful thing!) to probably have spent the £700 on the VR6 conversion kit from the USA and use all my bits from my 1998 Sharan for the conversion than do do this rebuild. I've done quite a few engines before, but nothing as frustrating as these WBX engines lol

anyway, keep me posted about the cams. I told Heritage last night that what they have sold me is £253's worth of pointless cam that is of no use to me at all.

Out of interest, The Engine Shop in Erith, Kent have this listed. https://www.theengineshop.info/acatalog ... 9TES5.html 
Is it likely to be any good? They say that they are made brand new and not a reprofiled part like the ones from VW heritage.
Some people say bad things about THS, yet some people say good. so It's unclear, but from my experience of the orders I've place, I've had no problems. They got hold of bearings for me when no other place could get them for months, so for that I am thankful :)

P.S when is your website going to be back up?

JC

ajsimmo
Trader

Post by ajsimmo »

I have no proof, but I think this is probably where most/all of the aftermarket WBX dished cams come from.

China Camshaft for VW 113109021G

I found it interesting, so thought I'd share. It's very possible that the £253 Heritage offering starts life as a $10 blank.

josephcarey1

Post by josephcarey1 »

ajsimmo wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 19:10 I have no proof, but I think this is probably where most/all of the aftermarket WBX dished cams come from.

China Camshaft for VW 113109021G

I found it interesting, so thought I'd share. It's very possible that the £253 Heritage offering starts life as a $10 blank.

Sheesh! That is terrible.
I ordered today the racing cam, gear, bolts and oil pump from The Engine Shop today. I’ll let you know how this works out. I am really hoping this is going to sort me out.

ajsimmo
Trader

Post by ajsimmo »

Oh. Mine are being shipped today
So to others looking for 2.1 hydro cams, I now have 8 available . I would advise either using your own gear with a Vanistan adapter (I have a few available), or use the much better quality Webcam gear. The standard cheap gears are too small and will rattle.

BTW Website is very much on my to do urgently list, and about to be vamped.

Last edited by ajsimmo on 27 Jan 2021, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.

josephcarey1

Post by josephcarey1 »

ajsimmo wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 11:14 Oh. Mine are being shipped today.
Website is very much on my to do urgently list, and about to be vamped.

Can't wait for it to be back up!

I'll let you know if I need one from you if this other one doesn't work out. I seem to be sending more bits back than I am putting in :rofl

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

How well do the "warm" cams work in a 2.1 then?

I am down to my last one (a few std 2.1 still in stock) so need to order some more, was going to up the quantities too.