Solar on Komet roof?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

randamonia
80-90 Mem No: 14035

Solar on Komet roof?

Post by randamonia »

Hi

Has anyone fitted a semi-flexible solar panel to a Komet roof?  The roof has contours which I am not sure a panel will handle?  Any thoughts/advice please...........other than i really need to clean my roof!!!

1987 Autohomes Komet 1.9 DG

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Re: Solar on Komet roof?

Post by 1664 »

I've dabbled with that idea  :wink:

Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

randamonia

Post by randamonia »

Ok.....life goal there  :D  

Can you tell me more about the set up please?  Hadn't even looked at multiple panels as an option yet.

Thanks 

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

I looked at standard rigid panels and none were suitable to fit to the Komet roof, you can't access the inside of the roof to fix them and besides they couldn't sit flat to the roof and would be trying to take off as you were driving along due to the wind creating lift under them. These panels were specifically selected as they would fit nicely on the sides of the high top contours where the slope is at it's gentlest. Reason for having four is to increase capacity, each panel is 25W (full sunshine and brand new but that will probably fall with age) so four connected in parallel should ideally give a potential 100W boost to the batteries. The panels have a voltage of 18v but the regulator prunes that down to a voltage the batteries are happier with. I have a dual battery regullator that splits the charging between the leisure batteries and the starter battery, it's set up to much favour the leisure batteries over the started battery obviously. The regulator is a PWM one, I did have a MCCP one but that charged the batteries with a voltage of 16v and I was not happy with that level (waits for arguements off MCCP owners). PWM regulators are less efficient than their MCCP counterparts. Maybe my MCCP one was buggered but happy with the PWM one. It's fitted in the locker adjacent to the Zig Unit above the kitchen furniture.

Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

randamonia

Post by randamonia »

Thanks for this. Really helpful!