Electrics in the gas locker

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

rollercoaster
80-90 Mem No: 6231

Electrics in the gas locker

Post by rollercoaster »

Just about to put the (mains) electric trip box in the gas locker,
its vented at the bottom to the outside world..
but is this wise, never heard otherwise, but even so..
if there is a trip, does that not perhaps create a tiny spark?
Live as if you were to die tomorrow
Learn as if you were to live forever

Syncro Danbury 2.0 petrol AGG

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Re: Electrics in the gas locker

Post by Jeff J »

I am not sure what they are but think there are bound to be gas & electrical regulations that cover the installation of both things in a camper/caravan. You should get suitably qualified advice preferably from a camper/caravan experienced person ( as opposed to just domestic trades person). Perhaps your nearest caravan servicing company.

acebaraka
80-90 Mem No: 16275

Post by acebaraka »

I work at a boatyard and the inland waterways regulations would not allow that for the reasons you mentioned. Different regs though obviously so might be different. Not that helpful I guess.
1981 2.0 CU Air Cooled 4 Speed Manual

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

if you have a gas locker then I wouldn't put electrics in it

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

I think you already knew the answer when you posted ......
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

Jeff J wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 05:56 You should get suitably qualified advice preferably from a camper/caravan experienced person ( as opposed to just domestic trades person).
ALL electricians are required to be able to interpret the relevant regulations no matter whether they are domestic, commercial, or industrial electricians so there is no reason not to use a domestic electrican. A "camper/caravan experienced person" is of no value if they lack the necessary qualifications and experience.

The regulations only began to incorporate wiring systems in motorcaravan (campers) in relatively recent history, when our vans were originally converted there were no regulations governing the methodolgy.

Anway, to the question in point, Regulation 712.528.2.1 states "No electrical equipment, including wiring systems, except ELV equipment for gas supply control, shall be installed in any gas cylinder storage compartment."

There are three more paragraphs to this regulation but that kind of sums it up, BUT one of the paragraphs begins "Where cable have to run through such a compartment,........" which then goes on to stipulate how high above the base of the gas cylinder they have to be (500mm) and that they have to be enclosed in a conduit or ducting system complying with the relevant BSEN standards for mechanical protection against impact etc.

It is admittedly confusing, they say "No you can't" in one breath and then "If you really have to" in another. However even though conduit and ducting systems are considered forms of segregation they are certainly not vapour proof so I would just stick with the "No you can't" bit.

However we are still left with the "no electrical equipment" which includes all switches, sockets, circuit breakers, consumer units and connecttions being forbidden in the case of the question posed by 'rollercoaster' in the first place which was for a consumer unit so the answer is NO

I trust that has muddied the waters  :ok

Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

Jeff J

Post by Jeff J »

There are no electricians that I know that would be able to quote regs referring to campers without trawling through the book.
Either you are a lot smarter or a lot more helpful than they are. I was not being disrespectful to domestic electricians just trying to help out with my obviously limited knowledge. :(

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

I was not having a go at you Jeff. Electricians are not required to be able to know regs off by heart, indeed I had to look up the relevant reg out of the book. Electricians are required to be able to find where in the regs book the relevant regulations are that state what is allowed (or rather what isn't) for a given installation. That is why every time they release a new updated edition of the regulations we have to retake the regulations exam which ensures we know where to look up specific regs if we find ourselves in an unfamilar installation situation.

An entire Section of the book is given over to 'Special Locations' and installations in motor caravans is one of those along with bathrooms, agricultural, swimming pools, caravan parks etc so I didn't have to trawl as such. That was my point about not relying on someone being in the caravan campervan conversion trade, unless they too were aware of the specific requirements.
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

Jeff J

Post by Jeff J »

As I thought, a lot more helpful  😃
But I still think people in the camper van service industry should be probably gas safe registered with a thorough knowledge of applicable electrical regs & better able to advise than most sparks ( in my area at least) that might not be as conscientious as you. I also found it impossible to find a gas safe engineer locally that would do work on my camper & had to go to nearest caravan dealer who had the knowledge, qualifications & experience to be able to help.

rollercoaster
80-90 Mem No: 6231

Post by rollercoaster »

Aidan wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 09:50 if you have a gas locker then I wouldn't put electrics in it

Well I didnt think, and I posted as I was thinking...
so, "live" if you like...
I was expecting mixed answers.
Dont know why.

I wont be putting any electrics in the gas box.
Thanks everyone!

PS, my camper was poorly converted before,
there wasnt even a gas box, bottle under the sink,
along with everything else.
So I am reworking it all as I go..
And I am trying to keep it minimal.

Thinking of a "trip box" in the connecting lead?

Live as if you were to die tomorrow
Learn as if you were to live forever

Syncro Danbury 2.0 petrol AGG