Double Passenger Seat

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

keynsham1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Double Passenger Seat

Post by keynsham1 »

Does anyone out there have any pictures, information or experience of fitting a double passenger cab seat in a T25 camper van? I know this is pretty uncommon but I have seen it done in a few pictures below I found on the internet:

04 Van seat.jpg
04 Van seat.jpg (52.74 KiB) Viewed 3391 times

05 Van seat.jpg
05 Van seat.jpg (55.23 KiB) Viewed 3391 times

I believe they were normally in work type vans and were supported at the back by a bulkhead, hence the strut required on the side of the seat in the second picture. I also plan to engineer a three-point middle seat belt too instead of the standard lap belt.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: Double Passenger Seat

Post by davidoft1 »

The standard T25 seat is not strong enough for a middle 3 point, would really need completely re-designing, I would find a t4 seat with the middle belt ( non folding seat) and convert it to fit the t25

keynsham1

Post by keynsham1 »

I agree that the original seat is a bit flimsy and unsuitable for a seatbelt mounting point but I wouldn't mount the belt on the seat. I was planning to mount it on the roof cross member just above and behind the cab area. I have done similar in the back of my van using the beam across and just in front of the tailgate. I used a centre seatbelt from a Renault Scenic in the back and it works fine. They pull down from the roof and clip in on both sides. I would use a second location from the driver's side seatbelt point, and something fixed to the van structure behind. I haven't quite got that far yet. It's all just ideas at the moment!

The seat in the pictures I added before have an added base and some sort of side bracing fitted too.

keynsham1

Post by keynsham1 »

I did look at a T25 seat by the way but they are very different as they don't mount on top of the wheel arch because the wheels on a T25 are forward of the footwell, so they have a tall base instead totally unsuitable for the T25. If it had fitted it would certainly have been an easier proposition but I do like a challenge!!

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

keynsham1 wrote:I did look at a T25 seat by the way but they are very different as they don't mount on top of the wheel arch because the wheels on a T25 are forward of the footwell, so they have a tall base instead totally unsuitable for the T25. If it had fitted it would certainly have been an easier proposition but I do like a challenge!!

The t4 base unbolts from the seat leaves it pretty much the same thickness

keynsham1

Post by keynsham1 »

That would make it too easy! As I said I looked ad a T4 seat but I think fitting would be very difficult. It just seemed the wrong shape. But if there is anyone who has done this however, I would be interested to know how it can be done?

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

Totally different idea consider, but I have seen entire bench seats at the 'show' held in Telford (about 5 or 6 years ago) - I can't recall what it was in - a bay I think.
Having it mounted across both seat positions would resolve a number of issues - it looked cool, also, it flipped on its recliner brackets enabling it to face the other way (into back). It looked cool and comfortable, I was attracted by the engineering that had gone into it - but being a strictly captain seat only kinda guy I didn't take any details.
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

TeflonTim
80-90 Mem No: 15323

Post by TeflonTim »

How did you get on with your double seat fitting?
I’m wondering if it’s possible to change the lap belt for a 3 point belt on an existing double seat.
Did you manage to fit the belt reel to the roof structure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keynsham1

Post by keynsham1 »

I never got around to it in the end. It is still in my loft and probably a project for sunnier weather now. I may have a go in the summer. If I do I will be sure to post my results!!

jude
80-90 Mem No: 17531

Post by jude »

Did you ever solve this one? I'm hoping to do the same in mine!