Refitting the speedo cable to the grease cap

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

killerme
80-90 Mem No: 10772

Refitting the speedo cable to the grease cap

Post by killerme »

VW T25 1989 water cooled turbo diesel.  I have an old threaded speedometer, that runs through the square hole in the hub grease cap. I've checked all the past posts and looked at the vids on the internet but no-on seems to be having the problem that I have - which is odd.  When I I changed the kph to mph on the speedo I must have pulled the cable through the grease cap because it didn't have a clip.  The grease cap doesn't fit easily onto the hub and I couldn't get the cable to pass through the square hole. Thinking that perhaps the cap was disfigured from hammering on, I bought a new cap and clip.  It still doesn't fit easily over the hub and I can't get the cable end through the cap.  I've tried cotton, fishing line, magnets, tweezers, pins but the cable won't come through.  It does extend far enough out, so that isn't the problem.  Tomorrow I intend to try gluing the end of the cable to a long wooden/plastic bar so I can try to position the cable end right into the square hole but I'm not hopeful.  How does everyone do it? No-one else seems to have a problem with it. Exasperated...!

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Re: Refitting the speedo cable to the grease cap

Post by Jeff J »

See if you can get it through the hole with the grease cap upside down first.

diabolov
80-90 Mem No: 14844

Post by diabolov »

Have you checked your cable routing, are you giving yourself enough length  :shock:  missus!

Autohomes Kamper 1986 WBX 1.9 DG

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Have you seen this VID.

[font]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pDzWH0GebQ[/font]

1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

killerme

Post by killerme »

Thanks for your comments - really appreciated! The size of the square and the hole it goes into is fine.  I have seen that video, but on a second look - he seems to have more to deal with than me (and he has a little washer or something behind the square end). Diabolov suggested 'are you giving yourself enough length?'  (Is there a pun there?) Can you push more cable end through? It seems to be pretty solid all the way back to the speedo.

killerme

Post by killerme »

Did it!  I pulled it out as far as it would go and wedged a very very small piece of toilet paper underneath and inside to wedge the cable end in the centre.   I also pushed the cable down from the speedo end (though I don't think this added any).  Then very carefully positioned the grease cap over and gently hammered it into position.  I didn't realise that there is a little hole near the end to help you lock it in position and squeeze out more length to be able to get the clip in.  Brilliant.  Now I have to fit the other end.  PS Can I use a little bathroom sealant to seal the end?  Thanks for the support.

diabolov
80-90 Mem No: 14844

Post by diabolov »

well done that man!

Mine has a dollop of sealant on the end.   :shock:  not again!
Autohomes Kamper 1986 WBX 1.9 DG

killerme

Post by killerme »

Unfortunately, I celebrated too early.  Now the speedo is making a whirring racket when it goes round.  I took it out and it is the speedo itself.  When you turn it with a screwdriver you can hear it like something is rubbing.  But I don't think you can take it apart can you? I've filled it with wd40 from every angle but to no avail.  This was a failed MOT with a list of problems - one of which was the speedo was in kph.  Do you think they will take issue with a working but noisy speedo.  Then I can try and get a replacement once I get the MOT sorted.

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Not sure if it is an MOT failure apart from when it was in KPH, although the whirring noise may bring it to the attention of the MOT Tester, is the connector sitting correctly inside the unit, mine is always playing up especially when not used a lot or in colder weather.  Just to add, the inner cable may have got twisted on reinstallation, maybe worth taking it for a short drive with it completely disconnected from the speedo.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

killerme

Post by killerme »

I take your points but the problem is definitely inside the unit. It is clear when you turn it with a screwdriver. I can't understand what could have happened to it. I checked them out and they seem very expensive new.  Anyone got any ideas about 2nd hand ones? I've been checking the internet.  I'll have another look at it tomorrow. One problem can be the gear that turns the odometer moving out of alignment. That could have happened and is rubbing against it or something.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Have you tried Mick nw_vw _T25 for a S/H one? 07968367046
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

killerme

Post by killerme »

Sorry to not update this post but life is a bit hectic at the moment.  The problem with the screeching speedo was solved and in case others have a similar problem, the following post helped:   https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... p?t=246885

I covered the speedo with WD40 inside and out.  I left it on the table for 24 hours and when I came back - it was fine.  It turned with a screwdriver with no restriction or noise.  Popped it into the van and its been fine ever since!