Golf Mk4 "APK" engine conversion

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Golf Mk4

Post by silverbullet »

Its probably all small gains tbh Kev, but the AGG I have has been picked clean (no wiring, no throttle body, distributor damaged...) whereas the APK is complete, but the block is incompatible with JX ancilliaries without a ton of money being spent on FAS parts, which sit the engine lower in the body just to get it under the hatch OR a ton of money to develop a proper sump for it and make custom mounting arms.
Cheaper and easier to play VW Lego at this stage.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

After a lot of thought and time sat in my private office :wink: I appear to have made a breakthrough with the inlet manifold height & clearance problem! So... to keep the cooling plumbing simple I'm ditching the AGG bottom end/crossflow head idea (the JX cooling system is a bit messy at best) and keeping it all "Gen V" as the anciliiaries are better packaged.
Just add a goldfish bowl for coolant expansion duties.
Because the cast sump project has been put on hold, I am going to use a modified so-called hybrid steel-bottomed sump, then make a welded JX syle wedge lower half c/w oil control baffles etc.
The APK will need a custom arm for the "top" side but thats the least of my worries now.

mowhock
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by mowhock »

silverbullet wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 18:12 I have kept the adjustable column and switches, just in caseImage
Hey mate,
I just joined the forum and I recognize the post is over 3 years old but I could still be lucky. I recently bought a 1.6 mk4 but changed the engine to APK 2.0. At the time, I was no expert on the mk4s and so I had to hire a mechanic to do the swap for me. Unfortunately he did a shoddy job on the engine harness conversion since the new engine did not come with it's loom. He cut the connector that goes to the ECU and replaced it with one from a 2.0 engine "allegedly". I have hanging wires that are unconnected to the new ECU connector and I have no idea where they should go. 
Since the conversion, the ECU throws up MAF and intake air temperature errors, as well as O2 sensor errors. I suspect the hanging wires are the culprits and I'm tired of endless trips to the garage trying to solve this by replacing the complete engine wiring loom.

Could you or any member here be having the APK wiring loom?

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

The engine and loom are now fitted into a T3 and the new owner is very happy with it, so you'll have to find a breaker with another APK Golf that is being broken I'm afraid

mowhock
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by mowhock »

Thanks for your response. Will have to look for a breaker. 

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

2.0 8v in a Golf Mk4 Gti, this one was V reg iirc. The engine was fitted to a T3 and converted to auto using FAS parts from the USA. Not a cheap conversion but a complete kit is available.

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

AWG from 3.5 cabbie is also a cross flow engine and fits using standard diesel parts. Made a few looms for them now.  :ok

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Its still just a 115HP, 170Nm @2400rpm four pot. Barely adequate for a heavy van other than a slightly better torque spread compared to a DJ and pulls from 1500rpm.
I'd go for a 150hp 20vt swap if I was shopping for a low maintenance conversion, which won't kick the shizzle out of the transaxle in five minutes.

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

The enthusiasm and excitement took a  U turn in this thread. Did you not research numbers before you pulled it to bits or did you know and you were playing for gits and shiggles?

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

It was interesting at the time