The good old engine debate....

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jarvo
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: The good old engine debate....

Post by Jarvo »

lefty67 wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 20:35 If you go down the diesel route then it might be worth having a chat with AW Engineering at Darwen, Lancs. They supply remanufactured vw diesel engines and are familiar with t3s. I had my aaz from them, not cheap but very happy with the engine and the service.
http://vwenginerecon.co.uk/
Thanks Lefty. I will definitely speak to them.

Is there a way you could pm me roughly what you paid? At the end of the day, my choice will probably be largely made on cost v improved performance. 
84 RHD, 5 speed, water cooled diesel. No one knows what engine it is!

Jarvo

Post by Jarvo »

lefty67 wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 20:35 If you go down the diesel route then it might be worth having a chat with AW Engineering at Darwen, Lancs. They supply remanufactured vw diesel engines and are familiar with t3s. I had my aaz from them, not cheap but very happy with the engine and the service.
http://vwenginerecon.co.uk/

Sorry mate, I forgot to ask. How does the engine perform? Was it completely reconditioned? 

rollercoaster
80-90 Mem No: 6231

Post by rollercoaster »

This is the FaceBook Group,
"VW T25 GTi Conversion club"

Yes I can never get it right AGG

I didnt do the work, but there are good loom converters.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow
Learn as if you were to live forever

Syncro Danbury 2.0 petrol AGG

Jarvo

Post by Jarvo »

rollercoaster wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 11:00 This is the FaceBook Group,
"VW T25 GTi Conversion club"

Yes I can never get it right AGG

I didnt do the work, but there are good loom converters.

Thanks mate, really appreciated.

Jarvo

Post by Jarvo »

Has anyone completed a 1.9Tdi AFN engine upgrade and can share their experience please?

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Here's my take on an AFN swap:

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/afn-t ... page1.html

8 years later its still going strong, currently my daily, and returns ~33mpg. I'm still very happy with it, but it wouldn't suit everyone. The AGG doesn't have quite the grunt, but would be more civilised (quieter & less stinky), and omits the hassles of a turbo, intercooler etc. I would suggest giving consideration to the AGG. I do loom work BTW :)

Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

rollercoaster wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 11:41 Then I would check where you are, the ULEZ emission zone is expanding massively,
and will be taken up in other cities, do you plan to visit places like that?
Some people have said that after changing their engines they have not met the requirements.
So far... my petrol conversions are ok in the LEZ but its a complicated and changing picture.

I don't know the requirements for the low emissions zones proposed in other cities, but the only kind of engine swap that will exempt a T25 from paying the London ULEZ charge is an entirely electric conversion. The only other kind of exemption that a T25 owner can hope too use is if it crosses the 40 year old threshold that allows it to be registered as a historic vehicle. At the moment the ULEZ only covers the central Congestion Charge zone, but next October it will be expanded as far as both north and south circulars.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Jarvo

Post by Jarvo »

syncroandy wrote: 15 Nov 2020, 19:56 Here's my take on an AFN swap:

8 years later its still going strong, currently my daily, and returns ~33mpg. I'm still very happy with it, but it wouldn't suit everyone. The AGG doesn't have quite the grunt, but would be more civilised (quieter & less stinky), and omits the hassles of a turbo, intercooler etc. I would suggest giving consideration to the AGG. I do loom work BTW :)

Thanks Andy. The quality of workmanship is superb there mate. Those brackets are top drawer. Where about sin Lancs are you?

Jarvo

Post by Jarvo »

syncroandy wrote: 15 Nov 2020, 19:56 Here's my take on an AFN swap:

Following rollercoasters post, I quite fancy the AGG route. However, I have found engines pretty scarce, compared to the AFN. Do you know of any secret hoarders? 😀

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Re. AGG, don't overlook the ADY, which is basically the same, also it was fitted to the Sharan and various Seat cars.

I'm in the Lancaster district. I don't have a workshop though (if that's what you were thinking) so I can't offer to do swaps for folk. I operate on a mail order basis for my electrical stuff.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I second the ADY, I've got one in my camper.

VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

Jarvo

Post by Jarvo »

syncroandy wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 10:22 Re. AGG, don't overlook the ADY, which is basically the same, also it was fitted to the Sharan and various Seat cars.

I'm in the Lancaster district. I don't have a workshop though (if that's what you were thinking) so I can't offer to do swaps for folk. I operate on a mail order basis for my electrical stuff.

Haha, don’t worry, I’m not gonna turn up on your doorstep  :D  I’m in Standish. 

I can see a few ADY engines, which is good. Just a quick question to you or Titus, will I also need to change my gearbox? It’s a 5 speed, which I am presuming shipped with the 1.6d and is now connected to the 1.9 1Y? I’m looking for solid motorway cruising at 60 and able to fly up those hills! MPG isn’t a massive issue for me and I certainly won’t be ragging the van. 

Da dan

Post by Da dan »

Why not 70 with the agg? Mine has been in for about a year now and it’s total changed and I’ve found a new van love. No more getting momentum with the hills looming. Still plenty just need to look harder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jarvo

Post by Jarvo »

Here is an update on where I am at:

1. I can have my 1Y completely remanufactured, as new. Add a brand new turbo, new exhaust, new pump, upgrading to a 1.9TD AAZ effectively. £3500.

2. I can have the GTI upgrade done for £3500, an offer currently available on FB.

3. I have found an AFN engine and gearbox for £160. However, current costs quoted to complete the swap are £5500. I am just checking these to understand a bit more.

I would welcome any feedback?

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

Define the brief.

What do you want to achieve?  What's the most important factor (fuel economy/speed/torque/budget)?  

Unless you can clearly state the problem then you can't find the correct solution..
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...