Fuel feed issues

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Lio
80-90 Mem No: 0

Fuel feed issues

Post by Lio »

Hello
I have some air coming from I don't know where yet ;-) But when I start the engine, it works fine and then when I increase revs, then more and more air  is coming and at some point the engine is stalling...I can see the air coming thanks to the transparent hose just after the fuel filter.
it is a 1.6 TD from 87, some no pre heating on the fuel filter. 
I have by passed the eberspraecher, so this is not where the issue comes from.
I have a question :  When I disconnect the hose from the tank, only a few drop of fuel is going out..of course the tank is full, so I assume it should be a lot of fuel coming out...Any idea ?
Thanks for any tips,
Lionel
VW T3 TD 1987 high roof Club Joker

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: Fuel feed issues

Post by davidoft1 »

Sounds like the fuel tank outlet is blocked, push a screw driver into it and see if fuel
Flow increases, are you sure the fuel is actually full, make sure the gauge is accurate

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

It is normal to only get a minimal flow from a tank - when I have fitted heaters I don't usually bother with catching fuel. I have never seen an air leak from a heater tee. Your air is more likely to be coming in via the fuel line between the pump and filter - including filter. One way to check for leaks is to pressurize the fuel line backwards from the pump end with one of the rubber primer bulbs - you will then see a fuel leak that is invisible as an air inlet when under normal suction.
Double check the inlet banjo on the filter for blockage as that causes greater suction on those leaky lines.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Lio

Post by Lio »

davidoft1 wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 18:08 Sounds like the fuel tank outlet is blocked, push a screw driver into it and see if fuel
Flow increases, are you sure the fuel is actually full, make sure the gauge is accurate

Yes, I filled the tank, at least 40 liters in it, and yes I tried with a screwdriver, even try to blow air but no changes.
btw the fuel tank is like new, it was changed by the previous owner...

Lio

Post by Lio »

Oldiebut goodie wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 18:55 It is normal to only get a minimal flow from a tank - when I have fitted heaters I don't usually bother with catching fuel. I have never seen an air leak from a heater tee. Your air is more likely to be coming in via the fuel line between the pump and filter - including filter. One way to check for leaks is to pressurize the fuel line backwards from the pump end with one of the rubber primer bulbs - you will then see a fuel leak that is invisible as an air inlet when under normal suction.
Double check the inlet banjo on the filter for blockage as that causes greater suction on those leaky lines.

I will try that.. keep you posted when I have the solution....

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

I had this problem. Check the pipes from the fuel filter. Change for proper fuel clips if you have jubilee clips on them. Took me ages to get an air tight seal.
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia