Automatic choke issue

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jamesling
80-90 Mem No: 17274

Automatic choke issue

Post by jamesling »

Hi guys,
I'm having an issue with my 1.9 watercooled petrol. It's been struggling to start when cold, and won't idle properly when I'm at a stop and will then stall. I will have to use some throttle to get it running again, and if I let it idle it'll stall so have to put throttle on everytime I'm stopping.

I've tried to have a look at the mechanism and the choke flap seems to always be open even when I've tried to engage the automatic choke by pressing the throttle down. I've managed to get the flap closed by turning the lever with my hand and it was running perfectly afterwards until the engine heated up and opened the choke flap again so when the engine was next cool it would be the same issue. 
I'm not the most mechanically inclined so any help would be really helpful, how can I get the choke to engage when pressing the throttle down? 

Many thanks,
James
1982 1.9DG Petrol WBX

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: Automatic choke issue

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Have you had a look at the Wiki under Fuel System 1.9 WBX stops intermittently, it may give you some pointers.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

jamesling
80-90 Mem No: 17274

Post by jamesling »

Sweet, I'll have a look cheers man
1982 1.9DG Petrol WBX

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

The choke is opened and closed with a bimetalic spring inside the choke housing.

The choke is adjustable once set up as per the haynes.

To see if the choke is connected to the spring or if the spring has broken the housing must be removed
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)