adding a turbo to aef conversion?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

saviogimmi
80-90 Mem No: 13584

adding a turbo to aef conversion?

Post by saviogimmi »

Has anyone done this?  Had an aef in my van for years and would just like an extra push up hills and overtaking.  would the jx mainifold and turbo setup work on this setup?  I know i will need to tap oil feed and return.  will it actually fit?
vw t25 westfalia Hi Top 1.9 Diesel AEf Engine.

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Re: adding a turbo to aef conversion?

Post by mrhutch »

your issue is going to be the pump providing extra fuel on boost.  AEF's have the lucas pump, with the 1Y variant (bosch pump) I would simply up the fuelling to provide more over the rev range, or source a JX pump and Injectors / AAZ pump and injectors.
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

saviogimmi
80-90 Mem No: 13584

Post by saviogimmi »

Whoever did the conversion used the Bosch pump, I always thought it was a Lucas until I did the timing belt.
vw t25 westfalia Hi Top 1.9 Diesel AEf Engine.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

On the manifold side of the block is cast either "1.9D" or "1.9D/TD" (or something like that) If it doesn't have "TD" on it then the materials used aren't suitable for turbo-ing. I think it's the piston material. They do have oil squirters though.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.