Can o Worms

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Can o Worms

Post by Stesaw »

I like going looking for trouble with my van it seems, took out most of the interior to start doing insulation, guess what I found!!
Although to be fair I know the sill has a hole in it under the window, so not sure if I can get that patched or just replace it. Have the outer sil on order, just gotta get a welder and practice some before working on the van.

Any thoughts on patching inner sills or replace the whole thing?
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Re: Can o Worms

Post by Ant-t »

It looks too far gone for a patch to me, I think you're probably best to replace the whole outer sill.
1983 DG Kamper 2

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

That’s not the inner sill, it’s the floor edge, you can path that no problem, try to cut out as much of the rotten metal as possible, look under than van at the inner sill

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

its not the floor edge, its the inner closure plate, there is a difference but in this instance its not that relevant ,
youve a few ways of tackling it,
the lower part of the upper side panal where it joins the outer sill will almost certain be shot, and to a greater or lesser extent so will this same seam on the outer sill, the only way to rectify is to fit a combined lower side/outer sill panel (hate them personally) or fit a lower side panel up to first seam and a separate outer sill, (also the easiest way to do it) then add the 2 closure plates to box it all in , this is basically how vw built them and how i have sorted dozens out .if you get stuck i can try find a link for you but pee bucket lost most of them ,also i do the lower outers and the closures for rhd and lhd
mm

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

davidoft1 wrote:That’s not the inner sill, it’s the floor edge, you can path that no problem, try to cut out as much of the rotten metal as possible, look under than van at the inner sill

Yeah I know, the inner sill is underneath and has a girt hole under the hole pictured :)

Plasticman wrote:its not the floor edge, its the inner closure plate, there is a difference but in this instance its not that relevant ,
youve a few ways of tackling it,
the lower part of the upper side panal where it joins the outer sill will almost certain be shot, and to a greater or lesser extent so will this same seam on the outer sill, the only way to rectify is to fit a combined lower side/outer sill panel (hate them personally) or fit a lower side panel up to first seam and a separate outer sill, (also the easiest way to do it) then add the 2 closure plates to box it all in , this is basically how vw built them and how i have sorted dozens out .if you get stuck i can try find a link for you but pee bucket lost most of them ,also i do the lower outers and the closures for rhd and lhd
mm

Yeah I've got the outer sill on order https://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts ... 09559.html I'll take a picture of the inner sill tomorrow see what you guys think if its a replace or patch job, if possible of course.

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

So here are the other speed holes

The pictures are a bit washed out but you get the idea.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

replace the inner sill, fun when it has likely gone into front jp which it has :cry: and no doubt rear arm mount
mm

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Fair dues, got one on order along with an outer jacking point for the rear as mine looks like it could do with replacing as it's missing a chunk.

Next on the list to buy is a welder.. :| Looking at igbt welders instead of the mosfet ones as I've been advised they'd be better any thoughts people? looking around £200.. not a lot for a welder I know, plus I'll be welding outside so probably be gasless and doing a lot of cleaning afterwards.

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Reviving this from the dead WOOooo!!

So I did end up buying a welder and the gubbins for it, however I never took the plunge to do it myself. I've been on the lookout for a place to get this done for me for a few months on and off. The main reason is with no welding experience and the rear outer trailing arm bracket needing replacing I thought it might be a bit much for a novice due to all the factors involved with replacing it, as much as I'd like to do it myself as I'd only be using my time and not paying someone else for theirs.

After going round to a place locally I've been told I shouldn't really be driving it due to the condition of the trailing arm bracket.. oops!!
I've been quoted £900 there abouts maybe more if there is nasties lurking. 

I am just wondering for any of the more experienced would there be a way to give them less work to do. Esp as muggins here is a professional job searcher at the moment.

I did think maybe cutting the old rusted floor plate out, buying some sheet metal and fabing up a new bit of floor myself, plus cutting out the old panels and cleaning up metal as much as possible could reduce the time they need to work on it thus saving myself some money. 

I get that by doing that I couldn't really drive it to the place with big bloomin holes in the side plus I wouldn't cut the trailing arm bracket off as well it would still need to be somewhat structually sound to get there on a trailer... but that might cost a £100 or so do to.. so I'm not sure if I should just bite the bullet and let them do it all, or if i'd just be causing problems by cutting into the van.

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

ImageImageI knew the bracket was a bit duff but I just tapped it and a chunk of rust fell out revealing a nice hole.  :shock: