Blue main beam tell tale not working.

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

colinlowe
80-90 Mem No: 15914

Blue main beam tell tale not working.

Post by colinlowe »

Hi all,
Sorry in advance as I suspect this has been covered somewhere, although I could not find it.
I have a '87 Autosleeper high top 1.9dg.
My issue is that the Blue telltale on the dash does not come on when high beam is being used.
I have checked the bulb and it appears OK when connected directly to 12v.

I have checked that there is a voltage at the dash ribbon connection (pins 2&3 (brown and blue/white)) but this where things get confusing for me. There appears to be a voltage when the main beam switch is pulled, but it drops again when the switch is released.
If I hold the switch as if flashing then the telltale stays on until I release the switch.
The bulb only lights very dim during this.

Is it likely to be an earth issue, if so where do I start to look please?
The other issue I have is that the clock has stopped (analogue). I have read elsewhere that the main culprit is likely to be the resistors, although in this instance it just stopped, it didn't lose or gain time before it stopped. I wonder if this might be related.
Can I 'test' the clock by connecting directly to a 12v supply?

Many thanks in advance,
Colin.
1988 AutoSleeper VHT 1.9DG

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Blue main beam tell tale not working.

Post by Mocki »

Is the main beam actually working ? 
because the tell tale comes from the actual n/s headlight , and if it’s working when you pull back to flash , I wold suspect thee headlight main/ dip switch stalk on the steering column to be the fault 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

If it’s an earth issue, and that would be the first thing I’d check, then you need to check the earth crowns.

There are two of them next to each other under the dash by the A-pillar on the left side of the vehicle. Disconnect the various earth leads, clean up the tabs with a bit of wet and dry, a then reconnect all the earth wires again. Make sure you don’t leave miss any.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

colinlowe

Post by colinlowe »

Thanks gents.
Yes the main beam does work on both left and right, I'll have a look at the column stalk tomorrow. I will also have a look at the earth crowns by the fuses/relays and give them a clean.
Thanks for your time. I'll let you know how it goes.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Regarding the clock,  you can test it on a 12v DC supply.    The capacitor can fail and there is only one.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

colinlowe

Post by colinlowe »

Hi Angelo, I have connected the clock directly to 12v and have no joy. Does this mean a replacement clock is required?
Cheers,
Colin.Image

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

There are two capacitors inside the clock,  some people have found that replacing them cures the problem.  Do a google search  and searcho on club 80 90 for 'T3 Analogue Clock capacitor repair'.  Look for a link to the samba website,  there is post that discusses repairand there is also a link to the Brickwerks club forum with a detailed thread.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

colinlowe

Post by colinlowe »

Steve, I have ordered a new indicator stalk, just in case, before I remove the steering wheel to check things.
Cliff, I have started to scuff my knuckles cleaning up the earth's.
Thanks for your help so far.

colinlowe

Post by colinlowe »

Thanks Angelo, I have found the thread on the samba site and ordered a couple of capacitors. Appreciate the help.

colinlowe

Post by colinlowe »

Thanks Steve  and Clift, after changing the stalk and cleaning the earths I now have a working tell tale, I also took the opportunity to change the bulb for an LED. I cannot identify exactly what fixed the issue as I didn't really find a specific fault. I am assuming cleaning connections and jiggling things around has "fixed" an intermittent connection issue.
Angelo, I have the capacitors now and will attempt replacement over the weekend hopefully.
Thanks for your help all.
Colin.

colinlowe

Post by colinlowe »

Well, capacitors arrived so I thought I'd have a go at replacement. Following the Brickwerks thread, my clock is slightly different to dismantle but I managed to get things apart. Unfortunately it looks like an issue other than the capacitors, another component looks to have cooked.
I think this is either a job for an electronics repair shop or a replacement clock. Any other suggestions welcome. Image

airheadboxer
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by airheadboxer »

colinlowe wrote: 25 Sep 2020, 16:41 Thanks Steve  and Clift, after changing the stalk and cleaning the earths I now have a working tell tale, I also took the opportunity to change the bulb for an LED. I cannot identify exactly what fixed the issue as I didn't really find a specific fault. I am assuming cleaning connections and jiggling things around has "fixed" an intermittent connection issue.
Angelo, I have the capacitors now and will attempt replacement over the weekend hopefully.
Thanks for your help all.
Colin.
Hi Colin, you mention you changed the main beam bulb for an led - do you have the details of the one you used please, and where you got it from?

I've bought some leds, but didn't realise they had a resistor in one leg which means it sits high in the holder, and because the leads are stranded they won't push into the holder easily even if I run solder along them. I've read a couple of other (older) threads I found using the original part number for the bulb and blue cap (357919062) but the eBay links have expired.

Many thanks,
Brian

1984 DG Autosleeper

colinlowe

Post by colinlowe »

Hi Brian,

Sorry for the delay. The LED I used was from ebay (I think AngeloEVS had recommended in another thread) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122833160253

They come in packs of three so I think I still have 2 spare, I can check in the next day or so and see if I can find the others to post on to you if you would like.

Cheers,
Colin.

airheadboxer

Post by airheadboxer »

Many thanks Colin, I've PM'd you.

In case the link becomes time-expired on eBay the item description of the leds is below - it may help someone in the future to find them again:

12V 3mm Warm White LED 3000MCD OSM5DK3131A-12V

I've had a look at them and they look ideal. The warm white should be pretty close to the original incandescent bulb.

Brilliant.
Brian
1984 DG Autosleeper

Gixerman60

Post by Gixerman60 »

Only just seen this. Check that the lever assembly has been fitted properly. It kind of hooks under the switch on the column, if that makes sense.