A Numpty and his 2.1 Project

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: A Numpty and his 2.1 Project

Post by Stesaw »

maxstu wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 07:45 Good luck Stesaw,
Watching with interest, and ready to return mutual numpty rebuild support :ok
Heat on those head nuts is the answer. 30 seconds apiece with a small plumbers' device. And keep heat away from valve springs.
All in itchylinks

Regards
Stuart
:ok Cheers Stu

Had quite a crack today at it.
I had soaked all the bolts on the engine yesterday so when taking them off today I didn't even need heat to undo them. Was very careful to begin with as you can feel the bolts move but nothing seemed to happen, so worked them back and forward gently then put more pressure on til I heard that metal ting / creaking noise, which is unnvering. 
When taking out the push rods a couple were bent so they will be on the list, the lifters all looked fine and have been labled so I know what goes back in where.

Heads off with no broken studs, unfortunatley the putting a screwdriver between the head and barrels to hold them in place didn't work. all four barrels were stuck well on. After blasting them with the ol plug gas (ignore the wd40 there) I spent about 30 mins doing some percussive maintenance on the barrels til the popped off the heads. You can see what remains of the top rubber seals there.. they really were not gonna do anything but I was impressed the jugs were what seemed to be welded on with grime.

I wonder how long that's been in there.. Studs look pitted but when I get round to the cleaning I can get a good look at them.

ImageImage
 Both heads have small cracks between the valves, I expected that but again after the cleanup I can assess them.
Now the elephant in the engine. 3 of the 4 pistons looked OK, apart from this bugger. The damage is right on the edge, I checked all the Barrels when I took them off the heads and they feel smooth.  Yet to take the pistons out as I don't have the pliers to get the clips out. I can fab up a puller for the pins no doubt.
ImageAfter that I took of the oil filter which was gave me more trouble than I thought it would, bleeder wouldn't budge.
Water pump off as well, Metal bladed one but it's a bit rusty. It does spin but feels like theres a bit of resistance when you turn it.
Left the distributor on for now. Not sure how I am gonna get the pulley off the front as thats the thing that's torqued to the moon. I will consult my bibles on that subject.

For those who noticed I'll probably be swapping the dipstick as well as that ones been moved and welded to the alternator bracket.  :roll:

1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Well done Stesaw. A very satifying day, eh?
Cant work out from your photo what is caught inside hole. A piece of thermostat, perhaps?
As for the pulley, do you need to remove it? Are you intending to change seal and check oil pump? Ive heard they are tight. Probably not recommended by the purists', but for DG pulley l lay an appropriate size bolt in groove of pulley at 12 o clock then clamp it with molegrips with the handle against block by the lifting hole. Works without clamping flywheel. Might work with DJ pulley too?
Keep posting

:ok

Regards
Stuart
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

maxstu wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 21:23 Well done Stesaw. A very satifying day, eh?
Cant work out from your photo what is caught inside hole. A piece of thermostat, perhaps?
As for the pulley, do you need to remove it? Are you intending to change seal and check oil pump? Ive heard they are tight. Probably not recommended by the purists', but for DG pulley l lay an appropriate size bolt in groove of pulley at 12 o clock then clamp it with molegrips with the handle against block by the lifting hole. Works without clamping flywheel. Might work with DJ pulley too?
Keep posting

:ok

Regards
Stuart

It was nice to finally get started on it. The thing in the hole was a rubber seal, looked like from a temp sensor one by the size of it.
Gonna be doing all the seals so I will have to get that pulley off sometime soon so I can then replace the seal behind it, I've heard of similar things where you lock it pulley side with a bolt so I will look into that, there is probably a tool that VW made for that job that probably costs about £80 for a bit of metal. Next I really want to get the pistons out so I can check them out, need to pick up some pliers for that for the clips. As I might have to replace a piston (possibly) I have been looking at other options to up it to a 2.2 or higher, but I doubt its gonna be as simple as just dropping different barrels and pistons in it. If I can just get a single replacement then I might just go for that and a set of new rings. 
Want to check the oil pump as well, maybe swap that or if it's OK just plop it back in.

I think I will be splitting the case so I can check out the cam and crankshaft + bearings, the engine is apart so it makes sense to do it now and not have to worry about it later. Might have more of an update tomorrow if I've done more, I might just clean up the heads... erk...

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

No pictures today because I didn't charge my phone.. :x But will get some pictures tomorrow to add to this.
Bit of bit of a naff day chewing at the bit wanting to do more but only getting round to mostly cleaning on the heads. Found some damage on one of them where the exhaust studs are and on the cylinder with the damaged piston a lot of dents in the cylinder head, obviously had been chewing on something it shouldn't have been....
Cleaned up the case a bit and cleaned all the threads and nuts on that to hopefully get the case apart once all the pistons are out.
After some cussing with cleaning I'd had enough of that and decided to get the damaged piston out with some "homebrew" circlip pliers and some threaded bar and nuts for the pin, took me longer than it should of due to the circlip popping off the pliers :evil:, got a circlip piler set on order for the rest of those pesky clips!
Two of the four pistons are out currently numbers 2 and 4.
Once the pliers arrive I can get the other clips off out and hopefully get the case apart, which is a good thing as one of the circlips fell into the case.. :| there is always something!

Pictures to follow.

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

More progress today, have the case split. Undecided about how to clean it, Maybe power washer?

Anyhow heres some pictures.
I'm on mobile and working on it now so I will make a more indepth post later.
Cam looks worn, new one methinks... Yes the pulley is still on the crank in the background... I couldn't move the bugger... yet....plus it helped move it around a bit
ImageEek well that needs to be replaced..Well I'd be putting new bearings in anyway.ImageHeres the valve cracks, still a lot more cleaning to be done.ImageAnother picture of the cam. Worn as expected ImageOil Pump was mucky, cleaning continues on those bits. Maybe I can dunk them into a bucket of something to get the grime off? Any tips welcome!ImageThe Damaged Head, exhaust studImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Stesaw on 15 Mar 2021, 19:38, edited 2 times in total.

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Continued.. sorta
ImageRemoved all the old piston rings, noticed this one had a bit missing.. :shock:
ImageOne case half, the culprit of using all my spare time and money in the background.
ImageThe other half.
Recommendations to clean this git, power washer with some degreaser maybe, then dry and blast it with some wd40 perhaps?
Once cleaned I think I will tackle the studs in the water jackets they are pitted and I think it would be best to replace them as well.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Good luck Stesaw. Watching with interest. :ok

Remember a posting some years ago putting cases in a dishwasher?

Regards
Stuart
MaxStu

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Dont have a dishwasher to hand. I did think about filling a tub up with water and some form of washing powder or degreaser and just letting them sit overnight in it. I've heard of people sitting them in vinegar but not sure I'd wanna do that... the smell would drive me nuts for one.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Stesaw wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 15:45 Dont have a dishwasher to hand. I did think about filling a tub up with water and some form of washing powder or degreaser and just letting them sit overnight in it. I've heard of people sitting them in vinegar but not sure I'd wanna do that... the smell would drive me nuts for one.

Or a craving for chips! :rofl
MaxStu

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

I do love a good bag of chips. Sad that I haven't been down to Devon this time, some cracking fish and chips down there..

I am suddenly hungry now!

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Well! What a kindred spirit we have! Fish N Chip tonight. Plus we are touring Devon in exactly one week. Two nights near Stonehenge. Then on to a campsite (that allows four dogs :roll: ) near Ilfracombe for five days'.
Regards
Stuart
MaxStu

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Oh Mr fancy pants is getting to go camping.

Well I hope you enjoy the time away! Wish we were going but the van is in bits..well the interior is anyway.

soon I will be able to fix my fish and chips cravings, I hope!
:rofl

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Stop typing and start cleaning. :roll: From Devon will send you a postcard with a chip stuck to it.
Keep up the good work. :ok
MaxStu

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Mmmm chips..

Anyho, did some cleaning today.. probably about as far as I really can do right now. When I will be reassembling I will make sure things are clean and free of crap as I put them back together.

In the mean time been doing some totting up with parts, I have two lists..

One list is where I replace just what I need and I think that comes to about £700 give or take a few quid (so far.)
If I decide to replace pistons, heads, lifters etc it comes to about £2000+

Having said that it occured to me the other night I could have probably gotten a Subaru lump and the conversion parts for about the same price..something for other people to think of if they wanna rebuild one of these. 

I think next I am going to move onto removing the old con rods and making sure the crank isn't scuffed / damaged. Which also means I should get the pulley off.. wish me luck with that.

As this is also a learning experience for myself I have a bit of a concern with the case halfs.
On the previous pictures you can see where the crank bearings sit. Some of the surfaces looked scuffed hopefully none of it is wallowed out, will be consulting the books on that soon to see if thats gonna be an issue for rebuilding.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Not sure about Subaru conversion costing around 2k? A member in Gravesend mentioned to me ( l bought his very reliable DG 1.9. Not the one lm rebuilding) more like 4K
MaxStu