holdsworth villa 1 pop top replacement.

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

father of 2
80-90 Mem No: 12228

holdsworth villa 1 pop top replacement.

Post by father of 2 »

Imageevening all, 

very new to this, probs my first post since i joined in 2013. 

i have a x reg 2.0l Aircooled twin sliding door and ive converted it heavily myself. was a micro bus i guess but ive made it a day van/camper and ive put a holdsworth villa 1 poptop on it. ive done it to remeber my grandad and the one he had when i was younger. ive had it for 17 yrs now, used and abused it for 10 of them, then kids came and its been in a lockup since then. just got it out now as they are older and want them to love it as much as i do.

any way i bought the pop top about 8 yrs ago and fitted it but now the pvc plastic stuff is showing its 40yrs of use. does anybody know a company that can take my pvc canvas and copy it. kinda hard to find one down south. i have found a company in newcastle but was just wondering if there is one more local to the guildford/basingstoke/camberley area.

any help will be appreciated.

cheers all

80-81 X reg 2ltr air-cooled twin slider with twin 40 Webbers
It is what I have made it, from what it used to be!

Da dan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: holdsworth villa 1 pop top replacement.

Post by Da dan »

What about a chandler as they will know a sail maker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Itsblue
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Itsblue »

Proud to pop in Gateshead , They did exactly that for me I sent them my old canvass and the used it to make new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aircooled 2.0cu 1982 Danbury Autoroof , not so Auto anymore 

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

We had the same roof on our first van, it's called the Giant Riser.
This company used to do replacement bellows for them but unfortunately due to ill health they have stopped trading, can still contact them via email though so might be able to point you in the right direction.
http://www.poptop-parts.co.uk
A good tip is if yours is dropping down at all then the springs inside the tubes have weakened so take them apart and drop an old socket into each of the tubes.
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

father of 2

Post by father of 2 »

Amazing response guys and girls, Thankyou. Albeit quite a long time since the post. I bought one from proud to pop. Was dealing with jake there. Great company to deal with and they have managed to copy my old one like for like. I haven’t fitted it yet because I have no space to do it and the blinking weather has a big part in it too. I will try and remember to put photos up when I do it. The old canvas is 80% usable so if anybody would be able to make use of it then let me know. They are rare I believe so I won’t be giving it away. It just needs a few patches to repair and a good clean.
Also the wheels and adaptors will be for sale soon off it as I’ve bought new standard 16” Vito rims and banded them by banded steel wheels.com. Pics to follow as well.

Cheers all for the info and stay safe!!

father of 2

Post by father of 2 »

lefty67 wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 21:56 We had the same roof on our first van, it's called the Giant Riser.
This company used to do replacement bellows for them but unfortunately due to ill health they have stopped trading, can still contact them via email though so might be able to point you in the right direction.
http://www.poptop-parts.co.uk
A good tip is if yours is dropping down at all then the springs inside the tubes have weakened so take them apart and drop an old socket into each of the tubes.

Thanks for this helpful suggestion. I’ll have a proper look when it all comes apart