Replacing the two interior striplights in my Autosleeper

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Moyners
80-90 Mem No: 11358

Replacing the two interior striplights in my Autosleeper

Post by Moyners »

I'm looking for ideas and suggestions with how best to replace the ugly and inefficient fluorescent striplights in my Trident.  I think it's time for some 12v LEDs.  One's above the sink and the other above the rear seat opposite.

How would I work out how many lumens would be about right?  I want comfortable lighting level, but not as bright as you'd see at a murder scene on CSI or such.  I wonder if brightness could be adjustable, could it be an array of lamps?

I've just taken out one of the striplights to find I have a rectangular aperture of 35.6x8.0cm.

If you've been through this, I'd love to hear about it - as always any advice is very gratefully received.

Paul.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Replacing the two interior striplights in my Autosleeper

Post by AngeloEvs »

The light distribution from fluorescent units is far better than conventional LED alternatives unless the model features the better high power LUXEON LED technology,  these also have a warm white colour spectrum rather than the usual bluish white from conventional LED's which I really dislike.

Unlike the LED lighting,  fluorescent tubes discolour and lose efficiency if run below 12v for extended periods.
I have two fluorescent units and one of the high powered LUXEON LED units over the kitchen area. 

The tubes are usually about 8W each so any LED replacement should specify its wattage equivalent but that is not always the case.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

Moyners wrote: 06 Aug 2020, 12:20 How would I work out how many lumens would be about right?
The original fluorescent would have a lumen output of around 260-450 depending on how it's driven. You could just replace the tube with one of these........ https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T5-LED-Tube- ... 0509439377
but it will need a stabilised power supply (driver) to prevent it being damaged when the battery voltage rises when it is on charge, and you'll have to remove the old control gear.

My rule of thumb for lumens is......Area in metres squared x 4 x lighting level required in lux. In a van each fitting might do 2 x 4 x 50 = 400
This is only VERY rough and ready, but it might give you a start.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

Moyners
80-90 Mem No: 11358

Post by Moyners »

I hadn't thought about just changing the current tubes (won't make them any nicer to look at, though!)

The 400 lumen figure give me a toe hold if I start looking to change.

Thanks, both.

P.

JackE
80-90 Mem No: 12479

Post by JackE »

1.9 DG petrol and open loop LPG Autosleeper Hightop. 1988

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

Hi,
I kept the original lightboxes  but removed the tubes and wired in a strip of led's. I have also added 2 spotlights/reading light's under the locker at the back , for reading in bed, and a led strip light over the rear seat. Changed the spot light over the cooker for something brighter.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

Hi,
I kept the original lightboxes  but removed the tubes and wired in a strip of led's. I have also added 2 spotlights/reading light's under the locker at the back , for reading in bed, and a led strip light over the rear seat. Changed the spot light over the cooker for something brighter.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Post by Jeff J »

I did the same as kentishvanman.