Electrolux RM 184 cooling fan

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

McNab
80-90 Mem No: 12011

Electrolux RM 184 cooling fan

Post by McNab »

Hey guys, I've been using the fridge in my 85 westy whilst camping and recently the fan started making noise, and was on all the time. It eventually dropped down to going on/off every minute or two over night. I assumed this was due to the hot weekend/cooler night we had so didn't think too much of it and figured a fan replacement would resolve the issue.
I fixed the noisy fan by replacing it with two PC fans and a 3rd fan in the vent area to help extract any hot air externally.
The fans are all run of the original fan wiring, I've not put a bypass switch in that I've seen others do.

I'm now finding that the fans are kicking in and running for about 2 seconds, doing this every 30 seconds or so.

Sitting here as I write this, with the sliding door open, I noticed that the fans aren't kicking in so much now, maybe once every 3/5 minutes. Guessing the cooler air helps.

I was wondering if the thermostatic switch was opening too early/closing too soon. Does anyone know if the switches fail or need replacing?

Or is this a normal function and I've just never noticed it before?

Chris

Last edited by McNab on 07 Aug 2020, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.
1986, 2.1 DJ, Westfalia Joker

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: Electrolux RM 184 cooling fan

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Are these after market fans, do not remember seeing one on mine when last removed for cleaning. Although mine is a RM212 so may not have one.  Also looked on wiki about positioning of fan to ensure it is blowing not sucking.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Some thermostats can be adjusted for hysteresis which would increase the time between the switching. I haven't had one of those fridges so don't know what temp measurement method is used for your fan.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

McNab

Post by McNab »

The fan that I replaced was original and is part of the original spec.
I made sure that the replacement fans blow across the back of the fridge fins, and the other out of the vent.
The thermostat I don't think is adjustable, what would one of these look like?
I may get a temperature sensor and stick it behind the fridge to see what the temperature is.. Image

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Looks like you just have a Klixon type of thermo-switch. It should have two temperatures marked on it, switch on and switch off temps, you need one with a larger spread of temps to reduce the rapid switching. But.... you may well be losing more cooling effect than you care to by doing this. This would be in the realms of experimenting rather than a sure-fire solution as would be altering the position of the switch to attempt to change the behaviour.

1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

McNab

Post by McNab »

Thanks OBG
I used the camper this week, using the fridge on 240 after having installed a working element, and the fan wasn't going off any where near as much.
Could be the outside temperature, could be the fact that I'm not burning gas...
I'll keep the switch as it is, and maybe look into new fans rather the fans I stole from 10 year old pcs.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk