Prop shaft bush replacement - does any one do it?

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.
burnzdog
80-90 Mem No: 0

Prop shaft bush replacement - does any one do it?

Post by burnzdog »

Hi All,

Trying to find somewhere/one who can replace the bushing in my prop shaft as im getting the infamous rattle when in low gears coming off clutch, I spoke with prop shaft services and they said they cant change the bushing it would have to build a new one. So question is is there anywhere that does change the bushing as part of refurb, or is a new shaft a better idea?

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Prop shaft bush replacement - does any one do it?

Post by silverbullet »

It's only a metric bronze bush, the hard bit is finding someone with a lathe that will pass 90mm+ through the spindle to bore the old one out.
85 syncro Caravelle twin slider Oettinger T3200E-6
90 SA Microbus supercharged wbx/UN1 project

http://www.025motorsport.com

syncropatrick
80-90 Mem No: 5294

Post by syncropatrick »

I've used these people in Bristol for a UJ replacement on my shaft. Recommended.
http://www.prop-shaft.com/
Wanted: offside part of full-height walk-through bulkhead behind front seat: 251 863 170

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

I've replaced them myself, to fit a polybush that I got from Gordon from SA (rest his soul)
you can break the old ones up without doing damage to the bore if you are careful with a sharpened punch/chisel
have you loosened the bolts and had feel if there really is significant play in the bushings ?
SyncroPete's Dad John Morill worked out the polybushes to use but I have lost the information and at the time no one was really interested, getting a replacement from GKN at Leek was very cost effective and with triple grease nipples the original version they made for us were long lived
The people who make Gripper LSDs in Coventry also do prop refurbishing, they are supposed to be good they may be able to help, Tom and John are pretty friendly, old school engineer types

davidoft1
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Aidan wrote: 06 Aug 2020, 14:55 I've replaced them myself, to fit a polybush that I got from Gordon from SA (rest his soul)
you can break the old ones up without doing damage to the bore if you are careful with a sharpened punch/chisel
have you loosened the bolts and had feel if there really is significant play in the bushings ?
SyncroPete's Dad John Morill worked out the polybushes to use but I have lost the information and at the time no one was really interested, getting a replacement from GKN at Leek was very cost effective and with triple grease nipples the original version they made for us were long lived
The people who make Gripper LSDs in Coventry also do prop refurbishing, they are supposed to be good they may be able to help, Tom and John are pretty friendly, old school engineer types

I’ve got Johns email :)

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

What about using delrin / acetal to make a bush...it machines really well and is very durable.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Might work, but if you are going to replace it why not use the original material as specified?
The bearing has to support some (reversing) rotational movement because of the rubber donut, but it also has to keep the propshaft and the in yoke in alignment. If it can't do that, the propshaft will whip and deflect out of line.
I can't see how a polybush can do that properly.

burnzdog

Post by burnzdog »

Anyone used the brickwerks replacement prop with sliding joint?

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/propshaft- ... joint.html

burnzdog

Post by burnzdog »

Aidan wrote: 06 Aug 2020, 14:55

a replacement from GKN at Leek was very cost effective and with triple grease nipples the original version they made for us were long lived

Yes there is some play and I'm getting the rattle which is what took me to your write up about it. I wondered did that that stand the test of time as that was some years ago?

Spoke with Dave Mac and he "not seen this prop shaft bit before".

I'll speak to GKN about replacement. When looking at getting one rebuilt I'm assuming it won't be the same so what elements of the original have to be spec'd on a newly built prop?

Also spoke with prop shaft services in Feltham and he can build one too.

Thanks.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Propshaft services made me a solid prop with a damped tube (internal thick cardboard tube liner) and renewable joints, but it was 70mm diameter and the original was 80mm. I'll let you all know how it performs once I am up and running again.

burnzdog

Post by burnzdog »

silverbullet wrote: 07 Aug 2020, 10:48 Propshaft services made me a solid prop with a damped tube (internal thick cardboard tube liner) and renewable joints, but it was 70mm diameter and the original was 80mm. I'll let you all know how it performs once I am up and running again
Thanks be interested to know how that goes. What was the cost of that? and in terms dimensions did they base it on the existing prop?

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

I took in the old solid prop (DG spec) and said "copy this"

About £270+vat iirc

Bwana John
80-90 Mem No: 1294

Post by Bwana John »

The company that supplies Nylon type bushes for the prop shaft is igus .co.uk and the "iglidur G sleeve bearing" number is GSM-2528-25 cost £5.87 +vat and £6.00 postage; so a total of £14.24  Have a look at www.igus.co.uk.
Still got my Syncro after all these years,
                                                               John Morrill.

dokamonkeys
80-90 Mem No: 8696

Post by dokamonkeys »

burnzdog wrote: 07 Aug 2020, 06:54 Anyone used the brickwerks replacement prop with sliding joint?

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/propshaft- ... joint.html

Yep, have run one since 2018. 3 months in Morocco blah blah, probably got 15k on it now. No complaints and what's not to like about about greasing a nipple or 4!
Neil
91 Syncro Caravelle
90 Doka
'78 Westy
'76 Bug

burnzdog

Post by burnzdog »

Bwana John wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 19:06 The company that supplies Nylon type bushes for the prop shaft is igus .co.uk and the "iglidur G sleeve bearing" number is GSM-2528-25 cost £5.87 +vat and £6.00 postage; so a total of £14.24  Have a look at www.igus.co.uk.
Still got my Syncro after all these years,
                                                               John Morrill.
Thank you for that