Too hot up top? Newbie.

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Piratepete
80-90 Mem No: 17272

Too hot up top? Newbie.

Post by Piratepete »

Hi Guys
I have a 1990 Holdsworth Villa 3. My daughter wants to use it with her two kiddies in the roof. Isn't it hot up there?

What do you do for ventilation? Every other camper van/caravan/mobile home I've seen has a roof ventilator.

Have you fitted a ventilator? If so details would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Pete

izzybarnard
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Too hot up top? Newbie.

Post by izzybarnard »

Evening
Yehhh, ours is a Hightop which is painted gloss black so a bit of a heat magnet.

My youngest daughter loves sleeping up there but it gets pretty warm.
We thought about skylights etc but tried a ten quid electric desk fan with grip bracket and what a difference.
Just moving the air lowers the temperature up top massively.
I'd 100% recommend giving it a go.Image

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

1987 Hightop with Subaru EJ25 Conversion

Piratepete
80-90 Mem No: 17272

Post by Piratepete »

Thanks for your reply. Do you know where you got it from? Is it 12VoltsDC?
Cheers!
Pete

izzybarnard
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by izzybarnard »

All right Pete
Mine was off Fleabay and is a 240v fan. I did notice there were a few 12v options aswell.

Think I searched for 'desk fan' and they popped up.

Our 240v fan works really well at cooling the temp up top, didn't fancy cutting into the roof for a leaky skylight.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

1987 Hightop with Subaru EJ25 Conversion

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

The skylight availability is a good option, mine was already fitted albeit a side opening roof and it does allow the hot air to escape and you can leave it open when out for the day.  They normally come with a wire mesh to prevent insects entering.  If you do decide to fit one, fit it so that it opens sideways to the roof.  They do tend to leak after a while as the sealant deteriorates and need to be replaced/repaired.  I also have a 12v fan but bought that for extra cooling clipped to the passenger side sun visor when driving.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

Having some insulation in the hightop walls, and a light coloured exterior will help keep the heat of the sun out during the day. Roof skylights are probably essential as they allow hot air to escape.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

clift_d wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 20:45 Having some insulation in the hightop walls, and a light coloured exterior will help keep the heat of the sun out during the day. Roof skylights are probably essential as they allow hot air to escape.
Agreed. Although we have removed the high top sleeping arrangement for storing cooking utensils etc over the cab and bedding at the rear, we couldn’t do without our Fiamma roof vent. We find it essential when cooking and handy for safe ventilation when sleeping.  It was fitted in 2006 and has behaved perfectly ever since. When doing a lot of wild camping on the Airs in Europe (RIP for now :cry: ) there was a spate of gassing reported taking place so I fitted a small fan in the plug-in table socket in the floor to draw in air from under the van. I sometimes run this to pull cool air into the van. Our high top and interior are insulated to Liesure Drive standard whatever that is but still gets very hot especially up top. I should imagine a roof vent might also alleviate some of the claustrophobic effects of the high top sleeping.
:ok

Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX