2.1 WBX options

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

volks_womble
80-90 Mem No: 13821

2.1 WBX options

Post by volks_womble »

We have a 2.1 MV in our newly acquired Syncro and whilst it works it is tired, so will need to be addressed. Waterboxers are a complete unknown to me (I’m a diesel geek...), so I am attempting to educate myself on what the optimum combination is. My understanding is that the DJ internals give a bit more power, and retaining the Digifant injection system of the MV gives better control than the Digijet system due to the additional sensors.

my aim is to keep the WBX, as I want to keep the van fairly original, but I would like to achieve decent power to be able to keep up in modern traffic, and climb hills sensibly. The Van is heavy, as it’s a Westy, so I’m not sure a bone stock MV is ideal.  

if anyone has opinions on a good Solution, or good resources to read, I’d be grateful. 

thanks
mark
1989 1.9TDI (AFN) California
1990 2.1MV Syncro Atlantic

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: 2.1 WBX options

Post by Mocki »

The MV is plenty able to do what you require if it’s in good order . 
whilst it hasn’t got the top end pull  of the DJ it Has the lower end grunt . 
the SS is slightly better suited to running on a carb than the MV but you want to keep the injection anyway .

regualr oil and filter changes and good maintenance and you won’t want another dirty diesel rattler
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

SS is an MV (just shy of 9:1 compression for low NOx and 91 RON unleaded) but with some added emissions control stuff, just for the Swiss market :wink:

DJ have more punch thanks to the 10:1 compression ratio and will run on 95 octane if in good health.

You can turn any wbx into another with the right bits.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

PS the MV efi/ignition system will happily stand an upgrade to DJ mechanical specs