1.9DG turning over, won’t start - losing the will to keep her on the road...

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

oilrag
80-90 Mem No: 16083

Re: 1.9DG turning over, won’t start - losing the will to keep her on the road...

Post by oilrag »

Perhaps you should consider a rebuild of the pierburg with a brickwerks kit ,a good video guide online by james akers on the process,plenty of help on here by a good bunch ,enjoy the van , 🆗 :D
'89 wbx DG lpg, 5 speed, twin slider, hi top.
There's always someone who has a bigger or better one .

Samanthington
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: 1.9DG turning over, won’t start - losing the will to keep her on the road...

Post by Samanthington »

@mrbean, I sure don’t...thanks everyone for being a whole lot more supportive than him indoors...!
WBX Panel - 1988 1.9DG *2022 E D I T…sparkly new engine from a The VW Engine Co!*

Samanthington

Post by Samanthington »

@oilrag...I saw his super good blog post. I also almost tried changing the front bushes myself after seeing his just as super good video about that! Honestly, I’ve spent more time in these forums and looking stuff up than I have driving the van.

If I had the pierburg I’d be tempted to rebuild it. Sadly they kept it. Perhaps I should ask for it back, in part payment for all the hassle, and the birds nest that was in the engine (no joke) and birdsh*t all over the inside. AND my mini Makita toolset that mysteriously wasn’t there when I got her back! 🤬
Last edited by Samanthington on 25 Jul 2020, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
WBX Panel - 1988 1.9DG *2022 E D I T…sparkly new engine from a The VW Engine Co!*

Samanthington

Post by Samanthington »

Think I’d best go and cool down...all this talking about it is bringing back sore memories! :rollin

oilrag
80-90 Mem No: 16083

Post by oilrag »

The pierburg was never theirs to keep,unless they took it in part payment with your agreement ,i return ALL parts removed from every job my workshop undertakes,even damaged parts are returned for customers perusal and disposal.
I would be having a word.   :evil:
'89 wbx DG lpg, 5 speed, twin slider, hi top.
There's always someone who has a bigger or better one .

Samanthington

Post by Samanthington »

Should’ve come to you!

After 14 months and 3 attempts at collection, 2 of which ended up on the back of a tow truck, I wanted nothing more to do with them.

Seriously considering small claims mind you.

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

Which Weber carb was fitted?

While not crucial the jetting the 34dat comes with for the t25 is not great and can be tweaked. But shouldn’t affect starting unless idle has been messed up badly
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

Samanthington

Post by Samanthington »

I really don’t know - he didn’t list part numbers on the invoice.

I do know that the offset bracket needed to hold the throttle cable in place (the wrong place) with the Weber was awful and meant the accelerator was super sticky - absolute horror to drive. My dear old dad took one look at it, made up a different bracket and hey presto, no more sticky accelerator. I did think he should make up some more...I can’t be the only person to have come across that problem after having a Weber fitted!

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

Samanthington wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 12:52 Thank you so much :) (And thanks for the vote of confidence with the carb 👍)

I looked at VWEngineCo’s website and swanky new workshop video a week ago but didn’t check where they were as I was praying I wouldn’t need to fork out for a shiny new engine. Keston is 10mins away from me...it’s all adding up that they are the guys I need...!

The whoosh is exactly what I get. And the replacement cap hasn’t worked to draw it back in so yep, def a pressure issue.

I read Tencentlife’s excellent post about fire rings a couple of weeks ago and had a nagging suspicion that would be the issue. I hoped to high wotsits that wouldn’t be it as these other guys had the engine out 3 times, but suspected it could be with the luck I’ve had so far!

I’m off to call the actual professionals...thanks 300CE 👍

No worries, keep us updated as to how you get on.
'86 DG, Weber Carb

Samanthington

Post by Samanthington »

Will do :ok

roonstar

Post by roonstar »

I'm having similar trouble with my 1.9 dg ran fine, well ran decent out of a small Gerry can, went to main tank and dragged some "pooh" up through filter so new tank, lines, ilter and carb off and jets cleaned, weber carb, new leads cap and plugs, get spark and ran like a bag on nails as if on 2 cylinders, ended up narrowing it down to "pooh" aftermarket starter, binned it went back to og dizzy..... Still can't get it to fire up, I think it's all timing issues